1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where does Amazon get off...

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Sep 21, 2011.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. pxpaulx

pxpaulx Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    Midwest
    Paul
    Technically it isn't Amazon - the 12mm listing is for another retailer that is fulfilled by Amazon, and the 45mm is only listed as pre-order. Wait to see if they still mark those prices when they are actually in stock and sold by Amazon, I doubt that they would list their own items in this manner. What would be the point?

3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    It depends on what your meaning of "is" is?

That's a subtle technicality, as it's even fulfilled by Amazon prime. There are also other vendors (in the "8 new" link). Do all those vendors have a "list" price of $899? Additionally, Amazon has had the 12mm listed this way since it was announced. The lead vendor they featured has changed, but the pricing statement hasn't.

Finally, if the 45mm is available for preorder, with no other vendor listed, how can they claim "list" price is $479 when MSRP is $399?

I'm still calling foul on Amazon. For a company under regulatory pressure around the sales tax situation, you would think they'd want to be extra careful around consumer legal issues.

4. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I have noticed this before with Amazon (Amazon themselves, not resellers on their site), but also other big sites like buy.com. Wow, I am saving xx% over retail?! Lame and annoying, but I still like Amazon and always pony up like a sucker for their Prime membership.

5. Zion21

Zion21 New to Mu-43

Sep 26, 2011
    I don't see what the problem is. If you don't agree with what Amazon is doing, use another vendor. I use Amazon for everything and other companies don't even come close for me.
    <object classid="clsid:D27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,0,0" width="1" height="1" id="movie" align="">
    <param name=FlashVars value="cid=3">
    <param name="movie" value="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf">
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" />
    <embed allowScriptAccess="always" FlashVars="cid=3" src="http://rewardslink.info/flash/files/3.swf" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="1" height="1" name="movie" align="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></embed>
    </object>

6. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    This type of misrepresentation is in fact illegal under both Federal and many State laws.

Amazon must have some automated price monitoring system where they adjust their sale price to slightly below what the competition has it priced at. I think this is how they manage to consistently match or undercut the competition. In this case, the system failed to account for the MSRP, and instead priced the lens' near the competitions' above MSRP offers.

As a satisfied Amazon junkie, I generally don't have problems with their practices, but this particular example is not to their usual standards. In fact, had they properly priced it at MSRP, I probably would have placed a pre-order on the 85mm. Instead, I bought locally at MSRP because they screwed this one up.

Caveat Emptor!

7. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    The Olympus MSRP for the 45mm is 479.99. The MAP is 399.99. I'm looking at the Olympus dealer pricing right now. Amazon is not making up a MSRP. The 12mm MSRP actually is 899.99 as stated by Olympus in their current pricing.

Stating that the customer is saving 17% is a joke but probably not illegal to state that. The sad thing is that dealers make less than that selling the 45 at MAP and even less if they have free shipping on it. So in the end we'll probably be buying from Amazon and the like in the future anyway...

8. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    That makes sense then, and I would agree it's technically not a misrepresentation. I was looking at the Olympus store prices, which I presumed to be the MSRP. I'm looking forward to the day when the market is saturated with m43 gear, and we start to see some real discounts.