Where do you take a pretty girl? An abandoned house, of course.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
A nice varied set. 4 and 7 are my favorites though I also like the quirky framing of 9.
The first 2 look a little over exposed to me, but I guess that may help them look a bit more dreamy...

Thank you. Yes I was going for a more blown out look for the first two but I over did it. I had a few more with more proper exposures, but I ended up liking these better. They had a better feel for this particular look I wanted.

Dalton

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dan Ferrall
Very nice series

I like the setting, the attractive woman, the composition, and the processing style. Nicely done!:2thumbs:
Dan

yekimrd

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mikey
You've just proven that those 3 are the system's best primes. :biggrin: Nice set. Just find that #10 would work better with the girl's face in focus (instead of the window frame) but that may just be a matter of taste. Looove that last shot!

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime Silva
Great set!
My favourite ones are number 1 and 9 (the first on the window)

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
You've just proven that those 3 are the system's best primes. :biggrin: Nice set. Just find that #10 would work better with the girl's face in focus (instead of the window frame) but that may just be a matter of taste. Looove that last shot!

Thanks Mikey, although I think that was already the general consensus without me having to prove those are the best primes. :tongue:

Also, do you mean picture #9? Because the girl is definitely the point of focus in 10. As for 9, I did have an alternate shot with her face as the focus. I chose this version because it better suited the mysterious mood I was going for.

F/Stop

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Brian Y.
Fantastic Vincent! Awesome work. Jealous. Especially with use of flash and reflectors. I have been researching lighting but have not gotten as far as you yet! Congrats.

caimi

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Caimi caimiphotography.com
Okay, I'm going to sound the discordant note. At least in one aspect of your image set.

But first: Great lighting and composition. The model is very easy on the eyes. The muted colors are a good choice in some of the pictures. The house has a ton of character. You have done a great job photographing a pretty model in an abandoned house.

But here's the discord: I don't get it. And since none of the other posters have brought it up, I can't tell if anyone gets it. Sure a pretty girl attracts a lot of attention but why a pretty girl in an abandoned house? What's the story? What's the theme? What's the point? Are you attempting to show that her beauty is enhanced by the unpleasant surroundings? Or not diminished by them? What were you attempting here? This may lead us back into criticism territory that some members would rather avoid but still , I am truly curious about what you were trying to accomplish with this combination of model and house.

Thanks in advance and I don't believe an artist is required to explain his art but I would love to know what your thought process was when you made the decision to join this girl with this house in photographs.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Hey Caimi, thanks for the feedback. I have no issues with criticism so blast away. I will attempt to answer/explain as much I am able to.

I completely understand your confusion. What's the back story? Well frankly, there isn't any. This is not an editorial style shoot and I never had that in mind going into this. I chose this location because it is interesting and different. The abandoned and weathered nature of the house provided a nice juxtaposition against the young and beautiful nature of the model. There was so much texture and atmosphere at this location, and I think at least some of that came through in these portraits. And ultimately that's all this is, a fashion/portrait shoot in an interesting location. If I had done this in a typical garden or some other lovely spot, the subject of story would never have come up.

Saying that though, this set would probably benefit from a story or theme to connect them together. And that is definitely something I would like to incorporate more into my future shoots.

Once again thanks for the honest feedback!

speedandstyle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Some art shouldn't have a backstory so to speak! Often art is what the viewer sees in the picture, not what the artist says is there. In this set of pictures I can think of many possible "stories" as to why. Even you caimi came up with several possibles and they were not the same as what I thought when viewing the pictures the first time.

scott0487

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Scott
Caimi, I also like your feedback because it's thought provoking. Of course I won't pretend to know what Spatulaboy's thought process was, but I can tell you why I love his photos. First, there is always something interesting to me in the theme of beauty in unlikely places. I know he placed it there (as opposed to it being organically there), but the juxtaposition of beauty and run down things often seems compelling to me. The contrast is just inherently interesting. Placing her in a beautiful setting (garden, beach, etc.) somehow to me seems like it might not be as interesting. Second, it seems like that was once a beautiful house and the contrast immediately struck me as interesting in an allegorical sense in that her physical beauty could similarly fade over time. Even in its physical condition, the house still is very powerful somehow. I know that is reading a lot into the photos that may not have been intended, but it is why they struck me right away (along with the use of lighting) and I enjoyed them so much. Hope this makes sense.

zettapixel

Mu-43 Veteran
Both #1, and #6 are the ideal look for that girl in that house. The others seem a bit discordant to me.

Possibly, but others work for me as well. Maybe something atypical, but very interesting and beautifully done.

And a stunning model! I bet this girl can sell this house.

spatulaboy

I'm not really here
Real Name
Vin
Thanks for chiming in everyone. I do agree that some of the most interesting photos are the ones that leave you wondering, the ones with a sense of mystery about them.

One thing I forgot to mention in my previous explanation though. Usually in my post work I treat each photograph as an individual image, and I would process each to stand on it's own. However when viewed in a series like here, it does feel a little disjointed. It's a fine line though. I am not a fan of multiple photos treated the same way, especially if the compositions are quite different.

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
[...]

What's the back story? Well frankly, there isn't any. This is not an editorial style shoot and I never had that in mind going into this. I chose this location because it is interesting and different. The abandoned and weathered nature of the house provided a nice juxtaposition against the young and beautiful nature of the model. There was so much texture and atmosphere at this location, and I think at least some of that came through in these portraits. And ultimately that's all this is, a fashion/portrait shoot in an interesting location. If I had done this in a typical garden or some other lovely spot, the subject of story would never have come up.

Funny, I was about to post up my thinking of what you were going for but I see you had already replied and it's exactly what I was going to say. :thumbup:

It was interesting to me to note that caimi would look for a story here because his images and critique always seem to contain (or look for) an element of some kind of storyline, like a one-act play contained in a single image. Just goes to show the many ways there are to approach photography. I look at this series and just see juxtaposition of pretty, young, and vibrant subject + forgotten and dilapidated surroundings and appreciate it for the inherent aesthetic. But someone else can see this and just as validly ask "ok, but why is she there?" :smile:

Yesterday Peter Hurley was on The Grid (online KelbyTV show), doing portrait critiques:

The Grid: Episode 104 – Portrait Critiques with Peter Hurley | The Grid

I like Peter Hurley's work a lot, I think he's absolutely amazing at getting the best out of people in front of the camera. BUT, what he does is 100% about expressions. As a headshot photographer, everything is shot on a plain background, the same/similar lighting setups, and it's utterly about the person's expression, attitude, and marketability. What was interesting and relevant to this discussion was to watch this episode of critiques on other people's work (most of which I'd have been really proud of if they were mine!). Peter would look at an image that was really well put together and just say "the model looks miserable". Likewise, he looked at a couple of candid shots and just said he wouldn't have taken that shot in the first place, because that's not what he does. To him, if the expressions aren't there and they're not engaging with the camera, it's simply a no-go. It was a really interesting look at how much one's approach to photography is individual, and how much that can affect the way you critique too.

Latest threads

Top Bottom