Where do you store all your photos?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by timothysoong, Dec 15, 2011.

1. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    I own a 1TB external hard disk and lately I've been taking so many pictures that I realized that it would run out some day and I'd prolly need to get another hard disk to store my photos. And I'm only a 3-4months learning photographer, not to mention those professionals who have millions of photos.

Do you store them in hard disk? Online? Or what?
  2. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    I am using Disk station Synology ds211j with 1TB storage capacity. But the question is: Do you really need to store all your photos?
    • Like Like x 2
  3. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    For anything important - find some way of making a back up - or even two ways as one could fail. I have a back up drive for most of my hard drive and a smaller back that I occasionally use for photos.

the other thing - delete frequently! Every six months, take a fresh look and see what you really want to keep. If you are a hoarder (and that's fine) you will ignore this and keep everything!
  4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    it's OK to delete.....really. I don't reckon I'll fill up a TB hard drive in 10 years time. I back them up once a month on 2 separate hard drives in case (when) one fails.
  5. addieleman

addieleman Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 5, 2010
    The Netherlands
    I store the keepers on the PC's 2 TB hard disk and I back up that disk once a week or so on a portable 1 TB drive that I put in a drawer at work. The other 1 TB drive is then going home for the next backup action.
  6. After using numerous external drive scenarios, providing multiple copies, my file system became TOO complicated. I've opted for a new Drobo system (4 bay with 4 SATA 2TB drives)! Life is good, again. I was able to move all my image files from 3 smaller drives into this wonder. Once the transfer is done, the Drobo rebuilt the previews and I find this system to give trustworthy protection/storage/ use

My system is an iMac desktop! Now, my computer uses my older 1 TB external for the Time Machine back-ups only. No hiccups yet.
  7. I agree with the question posed! However, once deleted, that image is gone forever. As I develop my skills, I do check older files as categorized in my Lightroom 3, thankful for the ability to see my progress. The Synology and Drobo systems were my 2 considerations. I opted for the Drobo mostly on the advice of my photo instructor. (All in, B+H delivered Drobo and 4 drives in the range of $350 +/-, depending on drive sizes about 2 months ago.)
  8. hodad66

hodad66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Indialantic, Florida
    I have "john's stuff" on a raid (USB 3.0) box currently with one gig
    drives. When the raid box gets to 50% I usually trade up.....
  9. garfield_cz

garfield_cz Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2011
    Czech Republic
    When I look back to my film days, having 2-5 good shots out of 36 was very good keep ratio. Now in digital era you can take hundreds shots in a minute, but usually only few of them are good to keep. Lightroom is helping much in such case as picture is just marked for deleting until purged, so you can get back to it when needed.

From my point of view good backup solution is a must as I don't want to loose single bit due to disk failure - Thank God for RAID!
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    I'm a hoarder; I keep everything on a large external drive and I also backup to an online backup place (RAW) and all the JPEGs to Flickr as well (Pro account).
  11. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Don't get me wrong but unless you're a super talent shooting 24/7 I can hardly imagine that you have nearly 1TB of keepers in 4 months. :smile:

One of the keys of becoming a good / better photographer is the ability to get rid of all the crap. First thing I do when I load new images in Lightroom is mark all technical imperfect ones like misfocused, over exposed and under exposed images and delete them.

Later I cull out images that are aesthetic failures, when I have chewed some time on them.

The only good back-up system is the one where you keep a set of your images on an off-site system like an external HD which you store in a friend's home or in a locker at work.

That is the only safeguard to fire or lightning and I know because my house was struck by lightning twice in ten years, destroying even external HD's that were not even plugged in! A raid system would have been destroyed too.
  12. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I use 2TB external hard drive but also have Google Picasa account (20GB) where I organize all my albums with keepers, mostly for sharing. If anything happens to my hard drive, I will still have all my keepers on google server. I do plan to go through all my files one day and clean up a whole bunch of them. I think dropbox is another good way to back up data.
    It is much harder to back up AVCHD video cause of very large file size. I plan on purchasing a blu ray burner to back up my HD video keepers. How do you guys back up your HD video??
  13. BarefootPilgrim

BarefootPilgrim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 23, 2009
    Westchester, IL
    I store everything I want to keep sorted by year/month and camera on external 1TB hard drives. When one drive fills, I just buy another to continue the backups.

Each month I also back up that month's photos by camera to individual DVDs, one DVD for each camera. That way I always have a permanent copy in case something fries any of the drives.
  14. timothysoong

timothysoong Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 10, 2011
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Don't get me wrong, most of my photos aren't well shot. And the main reason I don't want to delete all these photos is cause most of my photos were outings with my good friends. And I just thought if I delete these photos, after 10 years or so I wouldnt be able to check back and see some good moments of my past.
  15. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    I just upgraded my Imac internal HD from 320GB to 2TB. It failed at short notice but did give me some warning signs as to the pending failure. I was able to enable Time Machine for 2 months prior to it dying permanently. The cost was minimal and now the western digital 2TB Ext HD connected to the Imac is only used for Time Machine backup of the Imac.

This works seamlessly; touch wood.
  16. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    I keep the negatives in the wrappers in a drawer....:biggrin::tongue:
  17. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    That's a valid reason I forgot to mention.:smile: