1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where do you buy your camera?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Hugo, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Hugo

Hugo Mu-43 Regular

Sep 28, 2011
    Hi,

I used to buy all my electronics through Amazon. When I moved to CA last year, I lost tax advantage and I start searching for alternatives. Where do you buy your camera and what's the pros and cons? I'll start it by why I used Amazon until now.

Pros:
    Price (usually lowest not always)
    Delivery (2 day with Prime and they cross shipping)
    Return Policy (best in the industry)
    Used to be tax free.

Thanks!

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    B&H or Adorama in you live in CA. I think they both have good shipping and return policies.

3. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    My first choice is the forum here. Then eBay. In the rare event that I am buying brand new, B&H and Amazon are the usual suspects. Amazon is now charging tax in my state, so I will avoid buying direct from them. Often, though, "fulfilled by Amazon" gets me Prime shipping and no sales tax because the actual seller is not in my state. This is a pretty good workaround for sales tax where the "fulfilled" option is available.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Soffritto

Soffritto Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 1, 2010
    bandhphotovideo
    amazon
    adorama
    uniquephoto
    buydig
    robertscamera

5. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    If I am in no hurry, and want Olympus I watch for the refurbished on the Olympus site. Next has been Amazon then Adorama. I am never in a hurry so refurbished is the way I go. Found the EM-5 and 12-40pro both on refurbished and not one problem.

6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    B&H almost exclusively.

7. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    eBay almost exclusively, sometimes JB Hi-Fi if buying new.

Andrew

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    In order from most usd
    Top 3
    Fredmiranda
    Here (or other boards)
    Amazon

The rest
    B and h
    Ebay
    Craigslist
    Bestbuy

9. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    For older stuff, I buy in the classifieds in the forums a lot, and I like refurbs (as new a lot of the times) almost anywhere.

New stuff that isn't discounted, I buy at my local brick and mortar....or sometimes at the NY online shops

10. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Mostly B&H, some from the refurbished section of Olympus's U.S. website, and a bit from Adorama and Amazon.

11. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If I want to see or try a piece of equipment, then I will buy from one of my local dealers. If I know what I want, then I may buy from them or from B&H.

--Ken

12. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    B&H
    Adorama
    Buydig (if they got good deals)

13. Atom Ant

Atom Ant Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 24, 2012
    Melbourne, OZ
    Adam
    I have purchased all but one of my cameras f2f in shops. Likewise, all my m43 lenses have been purchased f2f in shops, mostly in Elisabeth street. However, most of my old lenses were bought online, especially eBay.

I like to see the goods before buying, and the price is more than competitive with buying online after postage costs are added.

14. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I would be happy to buy in a shop. I would even pay a little more for the service and knowledge. Sadly, there are very few actual camera shops in the US anymore. I go through Amazon mainly.

15. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    Camera landNY was pretty good when I got an EM5 when nobody else had stock.
    I also buy here, ebay, sometimes BH/Adorama.

16. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Local store (Cameranu.nl), and eBay/Craigslist-equivalents/used camera forums for lenses, which I usually don't buy new unless I can't avoid it.

17. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Regarding the "tax advantage", legally you are required to pay it with your income tax return if the store you bought from didn't collect it. I know hardly anyone does, but just saying.

18. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    When in the U.S., always from B&H, Adorama and Photo Village. Here in Korea, I get my Olympus gear from the official company store here. With the discounts I receive from Olympus, it's actually cheaper than buying from B&H.

19. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I bought most of my Olympus stuff directly from Olympus themselves.

But I have in the past bought from B&H, Amazon, and one other store I don't like to share because they have a 2 month return window and I'm afraid of too many people finding out and abusing it. ;-)

Oh, and also Bestbuy in the distant past.