Where do I put my money - the Building Society or Leica Glass

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by BillN, Feb 9, 2010.

1. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Not that I have much money

but I paid a visit today to the Building Society, (Savings Bank), and was met by a young "spotty faced" - financial adviser

Savings rates - 1% to 3% for a year

I'm better buying Leica glass aren't I - must be a better investment that giving it to the Bankers for 1%

Any other suggestions, (clean of course)

• Like Like x 2
  2. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Like a Leica

Hi Bill,

At those rates, I would say you are better investing in some good Leica "M" glass and a quality adaptor (Novoflex or Voigtlander).

You may not see an immediate increase in financial interest, but your photography will certainly be more interesting and the rewards will be more enjoyable than those from a building society.

Go M!:thumbup:

• Like Like x 2
  3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus Charter Member

Excellent - a new avenue here! Financial affairs on :43: :biggrin:. I think Ian's correct and that you should go with your gut, Bill.

4. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Also - a note

just watch the Euro in the next few days (fall, maybe ) - Greece, Spain, Portugal, Italy are causing concern - are we heading for another financial crisis - the "hedge funds" are sharpening their knives and have been selling the Euro forward

Leica glass seems to have always been a good investment - and the "dividend" is in using it, (unless you are Japanese, when you just shrink wrap it).

It would be Leica glass for me but I may have problems convincing my "joint" signatory, (of the female kind)

5. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I've never lost money on buying Leica glass. Or Jupiter, or Zeiss, or Nikon, or xxx glass, but I do a "value added" service to them. I could probably make a profit on my $70 Summicron, $15 Leica III with uncoated Elmar, or $15 Leica IIIa with a Summar. The trick is to buy low. $30 Nikon M with 5cm F1.4 Nikkor. Luck.

When my wife noticed the resale value of some of the things that I was buying, she quit asking why I need so many cameras and lenses.

6. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    that's my point Brian as I have been explaining to the "controlling shareholder" this afternoon

7. squeegee

squeegee Mu-43 Veteran Charter Member

Jan 26, 2010
    oh yeah m43 financial :flypig:

See that's like people asking if they should put all their money into their mortgage or put it into investments instead. There's a third answer, split it.

Take half the money and buy and olympus or panasonic lens instead of leica, put the other half in to an index fund for some relatively stable countries exchange, it should beat 1%...

... I really should learn to stop posting on the internet ...

• Like Like x 4
  8. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus Subscribing Member Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Bill,
    It depends on how you purchase the stuff.
    If the bank is so kind as to give you 1% interest, very generous....
    then if you buy on a card...maybe they take from you 18% plus here in the colony....

9. Bill Gordon

Bill Gordon Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Should I be buying my Euros & Pounds now or wait closer to May when I come over your way?

10. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Bill

No idea on that one - if I did I'd be sunning myself on my yacht in Monte Carlo with "dolly birds" serving me drinks

BUT

don't ask a Banker!!!!

11. Bullfrog

Bullfrog Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

The answer is obvious. Invest in Bullfrog's World Bank. I promise to only muck about with it responsibly. You know it makes sense.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Well Paul,
    At least you made a promise.....

13. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Typo?

You did put don't ask a Banker who may be very closely related to Mr. W Anker and therefore not trustworthy!

Buy Leica at least you know what you are getting!

14. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Hmmm, Ian
    That used to be a true statement.....

15. Iansky

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    This is what you could get

Hi Bill,

If you invest in a Leica lens you could end up with a great portrait lens and if you shop around, there are some good bargains to be had.

I have had my M lenses for a number of years but this is the first non Leica body I have tried them on:

[​IMG]

Go on - you know you want to and you can always take some nice portraits of "Er who must be obeyed".

16. Streetshooter

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Ian,
    That's cheating....I have not yet put any of my M glass on the Pen...
    but it's getting harder and harder to resist...
    you ain't helping either......

That's one of my fav lenses...plus the 35 cron...mmmmm

17. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Ian

I have a couple on my watch list - 50mm f2

my wife never sees the PayPal transactions - so what she doesn't know won't hurt her

I better not show her the Robert White site

I quite like my Ultron 35mm 1.7 plus other CV lenses - but as you indicate
    Leica is for life not just for Christmas

been fully retired for 3 weeks now - so it is just another "twiddle" on my retirement plan spreadsheet

Jesse - Alpa images have just "stolen" me and I am finding that I prefer the images from my Nikon RF lenses to those of SLR lenses - i.e. Nikon RF to Nikkor SLRs

Certainly the affordability of mFT bodies is pushing me in the RF Leica glass direction as I really do not like the feel, (I know that they are very good), of the Pany and Oly M/3 stuff - I have decided that you do need both

MF lenses will keep me in the format otherwise I would stick mainly with my D300 and it's ability to use MF lenses so comfortably

I am sure that if I could justify the price of the M digitals I would have gone that way, (to compliment the Nikon DSLR stuff)

(I plan to buy an S90 sometime soon to replace my powershot - it will be interesting to see how it performs/compares with mFTs)

18. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    So what lenses are you considering from Leitz? The older, classic lenses, or new stuff?

The new Leitz glass tends to run a lot. There are some bargains in the older glass, the Collapsible Summicron is one. But you have to be careful to get one with good glass.

I post a lot of comparisons on ziforums.com. I have a few shots up from the earlier Summicrons. The collapsible Summicron is sharp enough to keep up with the M8. The lower contrast is a great match for digital, preserves shadow detail.

Coll. Summicron at F2:
    [​IMG]

Nikkor 5cm f2 in LTM at F2:

[​IMG]

Coll Summicron at F2:
    [​IMG]

Nikkor 5cm f2 at F2:

[​IMG]

so- let me know what direction you are leaning. Each of these lenses runs about $200~$300, depending on luck and patience.

http://ziforums.com/album.php?u=15

19. BillN

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    Brian

thanks

I am looking at a Summicron 50mm f2 dual lens No 1,5xxx,xxx
    the one with "eyes" which of course I do not need with the G1

I prefer the "older" stuff, but I do not fancy a collapsible one, I have M mount Elmar 5cm 2.8

I have to get an adapter for my Nikon 5cm f1.4 - but I have a 13.5cm 3.5 Nikkor Q with screw thread which I am quite pleased with.

( just for interest do you know what it would cost to have a 50mm Summicron M cleaned - a small amount of fungus)

20. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Go for the type I Rigid if you can. Both use the same optics module: literally. it unscrews and fits both mounts.

If you ever get an M8 or M9, the Dual-Range lens will not fit. It will fit the film cameras only. Eventually, this means the Type I Rigid will be more valuable than the Dual-Range. The only M-Mount lens that I own that will not mount on the M8 and M9 is the Collapsible Elmar 9cm F4- and it is a pity. It is a great lens.

Type I Rigid on the M8, at F2:
    [​IMG]

On the M3, also F2:
    [​IMG]

More here:
    http://ziforums.com/album.php?albumid=205

http://ziforums.com/album.php?albumid=187

• Like Like x 2