1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where did you take that photo?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PacNWMike, Sep 2, 2015.

1. PacNWMike

PacNWMike Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    How about a quick line to tell us where the shot was taken? I suspect I'm not the only one interested.

• Agree Agree x 7
  2. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    what photo? just any photo?

• Like Like x 1
  3. WhidbeyLVR

WhidbeyLVR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 14, 2014
    Whidbey Island
    Lyle
    Most photos I post include a link to my a Flickr page, where there is usually (but not always) info like when, where, and exif. I don't think it unreasonable to expect folks to click through if they have an interest.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  4. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    I'm talking about photos in general. A lot of content is posted with no comment or context. How can I plan our next vacation :) A simple one or two word comment is all I ask.

Re: flickr. It is really slow to load out here in the sticks so clicking through isn't a viable option. Takes as long or longer to open a flickr page as it does a page of photos here on this site. I prefer to right click for exif if I can. Flickr makes that difficult too. It also seems to have a mind of its own as far as how it wants to display stuff too. I prefer to size to my own monitor. I'm no fan of flickr and stay away. Sorry.

• Informative Informative x 2
  5. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I will actually try to remember when I post photos :jedi:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    Yeah, I'm with you on this and I usually provide at least general location for my shots.

7. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I guess it's bad to assume. All my images are around home, Knoxville, TN. If they are not, I will almost always mention where they were taken.

8. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    Yes, I assume 'Location' unless otherwise noted. However many leave it blank.

9. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    I spend all my money on camera gear, so the only traveling I do is when I hitch a ride with my parents to Jazz Fest every year. Other than that it's all within a stone's throw of Cleveland. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 All-Pro

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    I do it sometines. Seems i am the only one here providing GPS data.
    Location is sometimes an addon to the context.

11. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

I agree with the OP completely.

On the other hand, I will never click on anyone's external link. I don't come here to be redirected someplace else.

12. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    My travel budget this year is going toward drilling a hole 400' into the ground and if it fills with water that's a bonus :(

13. faithblinded

faithblinded Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 25, 2014
    Cleveland, OH
    Ken
    Yea well, you live in a place that's like vacation paradise to me. So no complaining! Seriously though, I hope your well drilling is successful. You'll need fresh water when I come visit. I like long showers. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. PacNWMike

Dec 5, 2014
    Salish Sea
    guess?
    You'll be swimming in the pond with the dogs ;)

15. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Isn't this dry summer a bummer? Great for everyone except those of us on wells. Thankfully mine hasn't run low on water.

16. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I usually try to provide some context in the name of the photo or the commentary on Flickr. My mu-43.com information says where I'm from and most of my stuff is shot locally.
    My take is if you like the image enough to be curious about where it's from, you will look at my Flickr page to find out more. I'm not going to write a travelogue for everything I post on this or any other site. If you're really curious about a picture I posted, message me with questions.

17. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    To me it is a reasonable suggestion and definitely nothing to get one's knickers in a knot about. Often I see a photo and would appreciate a little context to the photo; that context often adds to the photo as well. I will endeavour going forward to add some detail where I can to my photos.

Heck it is not that hard to copy and paste from Flickr for example ... it never hurts to give a little.

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    I sometimes geotag my photos in Flickr but the process is a pain. I see I can do this in Lightroom so may give that a try now that you have mentioned it.

Andrew

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. tyrphoto

tyrphoto Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2014
    Seoul | NYC
    ㅇtㅈyㅅr
    More than location, I'd like to see more people insert basic camera metadata (camera, focal length, aperture, shutter, ISO) as I find this to me more interesting when viewing images. If the location seems of high interest I can always ask.

20. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    Whenever I travel I put the location name in the title. I also have full exif and geolocation on Flickr.