Where can i get a good deal on the Panasonic 20mm in Canada?

colbycheese

Mu-43 Veteran
is there any stores that have any deals of the new version of the Panasonic 20mm in Canada? I found some good deal on ebay but how do i know if it's legit? Thanks

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What do you mean by legit? EBay has a very strong buyer protection policy, so you can simply return the item if there are any issues. Even if the buyer states "no returns" you can open a not as described claim if there is an issue and eBay will rule in the favor of the buyer 99.999% of the time.

The only thing I would worry about with eBay is if you're buying from out of the country you may not get a proper warranty, I'm not sure how Panasonic handles international warranties.

Some items on eBay may be new but removed from kits, so it will come without the retail box, but generally this is clearly stated in the listing.

colbycheese

Mu-43 Veteran
What do you mean by legit? EBay has a very strong buyer protection policy, so you can simply return the item if there are any issues. Even if the buyer states "no returns" you can open a not as described claim if there is an issue and eBay will rule in the favor of the buyer 99.999% of the time.

The only thing I would worry about with eBay is if you're buying from out of the country you may not get a proper warranty, I'm not sure how Panasonic handles international warranties.

Some items on eBay may be new but removed from kits, so it will come without the retail box, but generally this is clearly stated in the listing.

i wasnt aware of that. my main worry is if the lens comes in bad condition with dents or scratches. I guess there is no way to know that before buying

colbycheese

Mu-43 Veteran
after a day of extensive research, this is what i have come up with.

Option 1:
buy one of these off ebay and sell my 25mm lens either here or on ebay
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/New-Panasoni...6?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item3ce08bbfde&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-PANASONI...5?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item35ccdd7447&_uhb=1
both are kit seperated which i am assuming is not really a big deal. still unsure of buying online though
the prices all in for both are $446.14 and $433.76

Option 2:Buy from local store
my local store tells me i can do a half back trade in from my panasonic 25mm that i bought about a year ago. So this is around 300 bucks
local store is selling it for 500 bucks. this means that with tax it will cost $565. this comes out as being 265 approximately out of pocket, and the rest being paid for.

all prices are in canadian. what do you think the best option is?
Either way i am going to get rid of the Panasonic 25mm that i have due to the weight.
Thanks

EarthQuake

Mu-43 Top Veteran
$300 is low for the 25/1.4, you should be able to sell that for around $450 or so, maybe $400 at worst. Though selling on eBay means paying about 8-12% in fees (ebay and paypal), selling here means less fees. Buying locally also likely means paying more for the 20/1.7, so you will spend quite a bit more overall. I would not do a local-trade in unless you value the time/energy you would spend listing and selling the lens yourself more than the extra money you would make selling it here or on eBay. Completed listings for recently sold used 25/1.4s: http://www.ebay.ca/sch/Lenses-Filte...emCondition=4&_sop=16&_nkw=panasonic+25mm+1.4 Looks like C$400-500 is typical for a used 25/1.4.

You could try to find someone here who would trade their 20/1.7 for your 25/1.4, probably with some extra cash going to you as well (I know I would if I still had my 20/1.7). To me this would be preferable to taking a loss on a local trade-in.

The two links you posted, one is from Japan, the other is from Taiwan, so if there are any issues with international warranties, both with have the same problem (if you decide to go this route, go for the cheaper one). It looks like both are new but separated from kits (probably GX7 or GF1 or whichever Pana body came with a 20/1.7 kit option). So you won't get a box and warranty coverage at all is fuzzy. You're buying from Asia so if you have to return something, its more of a hassle due to the return time and filling out customs forms, just another thing to consider. Personally I've bought items on eBay from China and Korea and haven't had a single problem.

Is there a specific reason you're looking for the version II copy? Only the cosmetics were changed and maybe slightly different lens coating, both lenses have the same AF and optics. So you might save some money by trying to find a new/used copy of the version I.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Panasonic-LU...6?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item461efe9828&_uhb=1
Here is a similar item from a North American seller, looks like it is a removed from a kit as well, not sure if this price (when you consider shipping) is much cheaper than you can find locally.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Panasonic-Lu...4?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item5407fc907a&_uhb=1
This is the cheapest I can find for a full retail (eg, in the box and everything) copy from a NA seller. Cameta is a proper camera store based out of NYC as well.

Hope this helps.

Latest threads

Top Bottom