1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Where are you getting your info that the Pen F is dead?

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by ata3001, Apr 21, 2019.

1. ata3001

ata3001 New to Mu-43

Jan 26, 2019
    It's still listed on their own website as available & for sale.

2. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    I think the issue is that the pen-f line is dead. No pen-f mk2 expected anymore. This does not change the fact that the pen-f is a great camera. Hope they keep selling them for a while.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Personally I wish somebody would still make small bodies with optional EVF attachments. The GX1 with LVF2 was a dream come true in size. I'm sure the EP5 was as well. Olympus needs to keep the mid size PEN model alive.

4. rezatravilla

rezatravilla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Indonesia
    Reza Travilla
    I still hoping Pana will bring back to life the GM series. I love that small camera.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I was struggling a bit with my E-PL5 as I've never really been able to come to grips with composing via a screen, partly due to my eyesight but mainly due to the fact that I'm an old dog who doesn't take to new tricks :) . I've just picked up a bargain with the VF-3 viewfinder and just love the overall size/weight and how this combo sits in my hand at the end of a wrist strap

• Like Like x 2
  6. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    I am with you.
    My E-P5 was initially used without a viewfinder and the best I could do is take snapshots.
    Realizing that the rear screen was only so good for serious composition and focusing I then got the VF-4.
    And suddenly I was able to create an image, not just record scenes that honestly could have been done easier with a mobile phone.
    To me a decent EVF is essential for conscious composition and critical focusing; without it is just punting and hoping for the best :oops: 

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. To each their own I suppose. I find composition and selective focus pretty easy with the GX850 (visibility in very bright sunshine aside). :hmmm: And this is in comparison to the E-M1 with its big EVF as my main camera.

8. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    After an 8 day vacation trip with only the gx850, I am pretty pleased.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. ata3001

ata3001 New to Mu-43

Jan 26, 2019
    Everyone seems to only be responding to rumors of it's demise. Let's wait for an answer from Olympus instead of some shmuck that is taking pleasure in some rumor he started.

10. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    43 rumours. Olympus Japan was cited as a source at one point. They do have a pretty good track record.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team Subscribing Member

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I met with a senior Olympus Europe exec during The Photography Show in the UK last month and he was quite open and unambiguous that the Pen-F is now out of production and that there is no replacement planned.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My experience with non Japanese Olympus executives had proven that they either don't know or play dumb.

I tried working with Olympus USA on quite a few things and it had been an absolute chore.

13. Angus Gibbins

Angus Gibbins Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Dec 6, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Angus
    Olympus Japan confirms the PEN-F has been discontinued - 43 Rumors

They also published about why there was evidence that there was no new model coming (no new registrations, current model being re-registered etc.)

I'm completely unsurprised that there's no Pen-F (I refuse to use the all caps style guide) replacement. The Pen-F was always a tribute and throwback to the film Pen FT. I never saw it as part of their core lineup, always just one for the Olympus fans.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Armand Di Meo

Armand Di Meo Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 28, 2018
    I agree with the posts above about how much better the "Pen Lite" series is with the add-on EVF. I found the VF-3 to be more than adequate (albeit a little compromised in low light conditions) and a very good value at a little more than a 100 dollars. I enjoy my E-PL 7 much more with the EVF. It does help a lot with composition.

15. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I am quite tempted by whichever is the final EPL that will take an add-on EVF (EPL8, I think). But my wife would kill me and then I wouldn’t be able to enjoy using it.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I had an E-P5 with the VF4. It was a lovely camera in many ways, but the add-on EVF wasn't part of the charm. With the EVF fitted it was bigger than an E-M5 and the camera/EVF connection was susceptible to damage through a bang or a drop. I've decided that, for me, I'd never buy another camera without an integrated EVF.

17. coffeecat

coffeecat Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 4, 2012
    SW England
    Rob
    I agree to some extent. Whenever I've handled things like a Pen-F or E-P5 in a shop (both cameras I really covet) they always seem a bit bigger than I would like. My E-PM2 is really pocketable without the VF-2, but I only ever use it with it.

I'm not sure if there is a "Goldilocks" rangefinder style m43 camera, which is small but has a built in EVF - maybe the GM5? I never handled one of those so am not sure about it.

18. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The Pen-F isn't such a bad size really. It's certainly a little larger than the E-PL range, but OTOH, it handles well, even with a slightly larger lens like the 12-40. I'm personally OK with its size.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012
    No schmuck - 43 Rumors is pretty reliable - his inside source said Olympus has no plans to make a second gen PEN-F. The PEN-F was meant to be a tribute to the original PEN camera for its Nth (50th?) anniversary. I think if it had sold well, they might have made a mark II. Part of the reason it didn't sell well was that it was overpriced.

20. Hypilein

Hypilein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 18, 2015
    I'll never understand the popularity of the external viewfinder variants. Especially when small cameras like the GX9 are around.

With the end of the Pen-F and the unlikelyhood of a true GX8 successor the high end rangefinder style seems to have died out for micro four thirds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.