Where are the used GH3s?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by crashwins, Apr 26, 2013.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    I've been looking on this forum awhile for a used GH3 and so far I've only seen one! This is a far cry from the OMD where it seems many people are dumping them on the used market. Can anyone explain this; is this because the camera is that good; or maybe because there's a shortage on the primary market?

Anyway, I'm not opposed to buying new, but I usually like to consider the used option first since I've had such wonderful experiences buying used on here.
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    I guess it will gonna take a while to see used GH3s for sale.
  3. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Panasonic seems to have a tough time building enough GH3s to keep the retailers in stock at this point. It seems to have been a very slow rollout (or else demand is simply sky high). Because of that any "used" GH3s I've seen (here or elsewhere) seem to be offered at 90-110% of retail pricing.

The OM-D has been on the market for at least 7 months longer than the GH3 and the original retail demand has been slaked at this point, so it's no surprise that a secondary market has developed.

If you want a GH3 I would suggest that you either need to be very patient and thorough in your search for a used one, or just bite the bullet and buy new.
  4. shizlefonizle

shizlefonizle Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 21, 2012
    My guesses
    1. It only became widely available recently
    2. Most expensive m43 body, not as many people will buy them
    3. Video oriented, not many people from here will buy it
    4. No real alternatives to the GH3 unlike the OM-D, so many who buy it will keep it
  5. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    1 through 3, yes. Don't really buy 4, as the E-M5 was pretty much unrivaled in terms of features and IQ when it was released. The only real competition was the GH2, which is still a competitor for the GH3 if you look at it that way.

I think the E-M5 was a far more successful camera than the GH3 based on price as well as pre-release buzz - the first sensor to really compete strongly against (APS-C) DSLRs, great dynamic range! The GH3 is a big hit in video land, but you get can now get the same (stills) image quality for much, much, much less (E-PM2), so folks who love the PEN handling or don't need/want the built-in EVF no longer have to 'put up with' the E-M5's bulk. For the E-M5, it's a love/hate thing in terms of handling, with lots of folks finding it too small and/or fiddly. The GH3, by all accounts, is a winner in terms of handling - which you pay for by accepting a body that's almost DSLR-sized.
  6. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Thanks for all the feedback. My understanding is the sensor in the GH3 is the same as the OMD (different software of course) so if I'm shooting RAW (and like Video), I'd want to get the GH3 over the EM5 because of this...The EM5 obviously doesn't have the same video capabilities.
  7. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    When the OMD was launched, the take up caught Olympus by surprise and it could not match production to pre-orders/sales, the only ones on places like Ebay were above RRP and it is only in the past 4/5 months that second hand ones have been more readily available.

I would not expect the GH3 to be in the used arena yet, if it is that does not bode well for it's credibility amongst buyers (apart from the tech freaks who may have bought and found it just too much for them).

Give it a couple more months, they will appear!
  8. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    You don't see many GH2s about either. I just think these video-focused models don't sell in the same volume, that's why you don't see many of them about. The OM-D on the other hand has sold like hotcakes.
  9. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bottom line - it's a bit too soon to expect used models to be widely available. :cool:
  10. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Yeah, I had a GH2 -- bought it for $375 and it was MINT -- about 6 months ago then sold it in December for about the same price. I recently went to buy one on here and they're like $600! The one I bought 6 months back was sitting on the forums for weeks - I don't understand where the inflated resale value has come from.

Anyway, was I correct RE the sensor for GH3 vs. OMD?
  11. teddoman

teddoman Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2013
    There are a few used GH3s available on fm.

ps my guess is used GH2 prices went up when the new ones were completely out of stock. I expect GH2 prices to come down once the G6 is available.
  12. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Yeah the sensor's the same, or at least it's 16mp and seems to be made by Sony. The GH3 has better processing for video though, as well as a higher maximum bitrate, and of course plenty of video-focused features.
  13. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    I was going to be snarky and say "... being used?" :biggrin:

As others noted, it's an expensive camera, only recently readily available, and not many competitors in its space that would drive upgrades/replacements.

I suspect another factor is that the GH3 is a more evolutionary upgrade (despite some of the body changes) compared to something like the OM-D EM-5 that was a totally different style and design. That means potential upgraders know pretty well what they're getting into, versus an essentially unknown quantity. That probably culminates in somewhat less people buying the camera and flipping it after they decide it's not for them.
  14. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    Maybe by the time some more used ones will start rolling around I'll have the money to afford one. Shooting in the rain with a plastic grocery bag just kinda sucks.
  15. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Supply has been plentiful in the UK since launch
    There have been isolated used examples for sale on ebay at a reasonable saving over new
    I think it is simply a case of slow / limited supply over there
    Some better deals for new can already be had over here so it might be worth waiting a couple of months to see what happens ?
  16. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    +1. I think the EM-5 really was really a bigger leap from the previous models. The GH3 had to come from the shadows of GH2 and G5.

The whole "retro" look is also more appealing to many, than the traditional DSLR look which the GH3 is.
  17. MarcoC

MarcoC New to Mu-43

May 21, 2012
    I've just reduced the price of my used MINT GH3 - see the for sale forum if interested and if you are in the UK.

Thanks !