1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Where are the "mainstream" third party lenses?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by With_Eyes_Unclouded, Jan 7, 2013.

1. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    There are currently several third party lenses for :43: but I get the feeling there is something missing. Something in the spirit of the Sigma 19mm/33mm primes, which combine above average performance and IQ with very modest prices.

Sigma just introduced a 17-70mm zoom lens for DSLRs, a version of which would perhaps be quite welcome in a :43: version. There is also Tamron which announced they have :43: under development but nothing solid yet.

What do you think?

2. McBob

McBob Mu-43 Regular

Apr 22, 2012
    I reckon Panasonic and Olympus themselves have enough of an array of decent, relatively inexpensive lenses that the scene is not yet attractive enough to budget 3rd party entrants

3. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Bet you're right; solution: recruit more m4/3 converts. :biggrin:

4. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I guess you are right. Olympus and Panasonic seem to steadily cover most of the bases. And there are several (some really expensive) third party manual lenses available, e.g. Voigtlander, SLR Magic, etc.

OTOH, I thought about Sigma because their :43: primes, although a bit weird for the system (focal length, size), are a great addition to the system as a whole. I was thinking that, perhaps, both Sigma and Tamron could continue the trick of designing a lens for NEX, then port it to :43: also. This could work for a variety of focal lengths, both primes and zooms.

5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    There's room for 3rd party...less costly variants (much like Sigma less costly versions of Nikon & Canon lenses)

Examples

*25 f1.4
    *12-35
    *35-100
    *12/2

Quite a few Nikon & Canon shooters own a Tamron cheaper version of the 24-70 and 70-200

They just have to made :smile:

6. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Absolutely - when I used Canon I owned more Tamron and Sigma than Canon lenses.

7. napilopez

napilopez Contributing Editor

Feb 21, 2012
    NYC Area
    Napier Lopez
    I think the other thing that other haven't mentioned is that it costs these companies more to make lenses for M4/3... More formats use APS-C after all. I presume that some of the current third party lenses such as the sigmas that were clearly meant for APS-C cameras first and foremost. were concieved a while ago, when it seemed like APS-C might be the way to go in the mirrorless market. But with M4/3s recent revival, particularly with the OM-D, I'd be willing to bet more companies are thinking of investing in the system. I'm still waiting to see how those schneiders will perform.

8. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    The Rokinon 7.5mm f3.5 fisheye is a great example of a mainstream 3rd party lens.

You are right though, it would be great to see more choice and value away from the Olympus/Panasonic offerings. With the volume of cameras shipping, I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  9. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

They will come! There are rumors that Sigma has a lens coming soon that was designed for m4/3{the 19 and 30 were for NEX but adapted for m4/3}. Tamron has a full range zoom for the NEX, they could adapt it for m4/3. They are rumored to have a prototype m4/3 lens out this year. Tokina makes a 300mm reflex manual focus lens. Hopefully they will not stop there. Samyang has also said they they are going to make more mirrorless lenses including ones with AF.

There is plenty of room for more lenses! For instance an affordable wide angle zoom{Tokina is famous for these}. A cheaper full range zoom{both Sigma and Tamron do them well}. A normal prime that is affordable, the 25mm is a bit pricey and the 20mm is a bit on the wide side. There are no telephoto primes yet, Panasonic has a 150mm coming in a year or so{but it will be very expensive!}.

One that I personally would like to see is a 67.5mm f2 or maybe 2.8. This would have a similar angle of view to a 135mm on a FF camera. This was one of my favorite focal lengths when I shot 35mm.

10. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Ehud
    If you look at this table Micro Four Thirds Lenses - HENNIGArts : Gear you can see that we are missing lenses at the above 150mm range.
    In this area we only have slow zoom lenses. A F/3.5 or even F/4.0 solution will get a wide acceptance. This lens could be a prime or a zoom, currently Olympus and Panasonic have nothing in this range except for slow zooms.

11. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Given that every native m43 tele zoom is slow, there seems to me to be plenty of room for 3rd party tele zoom/non-zooms in the f2.8-f4 range.

How about a Sigma 50-200 f2.8, or a Tokina 100-300 f4? I'd pay $1200 for either of those (assuming some minimal threshold of optical quality was met).

12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    I'm also thinking about some "odd-ball" focal lengths or ranges. For example, I mentioned the new Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.

Well I don't know about you, but a 34-140mm equivalent for :43: would personally fit me quite well for a variety of shooting scenarios. It covers the ranges between the "classic" 24-70 and 70-200 that I'd probably use the most.

14. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I agree there's room for others to play, but the 35-100/2.8 is definitely tele and clearly not "slow" by the standards you're outlining. I do think we need more lenses covering additional FLs, and some competition might bring prices down, too.

15. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    Oops, I overlooked that lens.

OTOH, the missed opportunity I see is that 4/3 and m4/3 is very much an ideal long-lens birding/wildlife/nature type of system. 4/3 seems to have attempted to address that area, but m4/3 has almost not at all. When I go to the forums of birders and others looking for a decent way to get into deep tele without spending $12K on 400 f2.8 and 600 f4 lenses, I see that Nikon 1 with FT1 has already made big inroads. And I wonder how m4/3 let that happen.

16. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    Need some cross-breeding with some of those excellent 4/3 lenses!!! :biggrin:

17. gcogger

gcogger Mu-43 Veteran

May 25, 2010
    UK
    Graeme
    I really think Tamron and Sigma are missing out here. On the 'mainstream' SLR systems (Canon, Nikon etc.) they both produce competitors to the OEM fast zooms (and slow tele zooms) which are of decent quality and much cheaper. If they produced lower priced competitors to things like the new Panasonic 12-35 and 35-100 f/2.8 zooms, I believe they'd sell like hot cakes!