where are all the great primes?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by kman, Jan 3, 2010.

1. kman

kman Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    not to start an eruption in brand issues --- but as a new comer to the micro 4/3 ( ep-1 ) I think both Oly and Pana need to build more excellent primes for this system ( like maybe a 15mm f1.8 )
    are they coming ??

kman

2. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro Charter Member

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    i wish someone at olympus or panasonic had the horse sense to produce some prime like the one you mentioned at a fair price, but the marketing geniuses dont seem to want to manufacture a prime that 90 percent of the installed base of m 4\3 owners would instantly buy , thats a shame and indicitive of a corporate sickness , if you ask me

the major slr producers like nikon and canon , etc in the past give their loyal followers the gift of a fast normal well made prime for about 95 to 130 dollars with a normal FOV AND ABOUT F1.8 FAST , ITS ALSO A SANE DESIGN without that vile focus by wire crap we must suffer thru with oly and panny af primes

unfortunately the thousands of loyal and passionate m4\3 early adopters who have spent 100s of millions of dollars investing in this new format will get no such love from the likes of olympus and panasonic , who seem to have little but contempt and a blind eye and deaf ear for those who believe in and invest in these companies fledgling products

the lens that every poll has shown micro 4\3 owners clamor for ,a fast wide prime is on no lens roadmap for either company [ clueless suits who only want to milk this baby and overcharge consumers are the biggest impediment to the wider adoption and greater sucess of micro four thirds at this juncture ]
    for what its worth .........
    look at the very nation of the usa , murdered by the suits for greed, profit wiht nary a care for the future sucess or health of their charge ,unfortunately it is the modern corporate way, corporatism............................ some may know it by another name,

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator Moderator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Panasonic has announced a 14mm f/2.8 lens and an 8mm f/3.5 fisheye, both due this year. As far as I am aware, no other primes for :43: have been announced.

Personally, I've no need for a different, fast wide prime, but I would love to see a fast short tele prime.

4. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I too would love to see a really fast prime for m4/3. And I really hope they can build lenses in more quality material. The cheap plastic feeling in the Olympus lenses (Panasonic lenses too?) really disappoints me.... Also the manual focusing wheel on the Oly lenses suck. But I have to say I compare all lenses to rangefinder lenses, so I am probably spoiled.

Maybe Voigtlander can make some m4/3 lenses in 2010? :wink:

5. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus Charter Member

Dec 15, 2009
    At least you can mount your rangefinder lenses on any m4/3rds cam... and I'd rather spend a few hundred on a plastic bodied lens (plastic can be lightweight and bouncy ;) than a few thousand on a collector's item.

I'd really like an 11mm f2.8, a 40mm f1.4 and a 57mm f1.2... whichever mirrorless interchangeable camera system delivers that set of primes will probably get my order.

Cheers

Brian

6. kman

kman Mu-43 Rookie Charter Member

Dec 20, 2009
    Fort Wayne IN
    well here is what I hope happens. I also own some Pentax Limited primes and they are very well build (all metal ) I would love to see either oly or pana make a couple of really well made primes. I personaly have not checked out the pana 40mm 1.7, my problem with that lens is the focal length. I own the oly 17mm 2.8 and it is ok, but the build quality is not ( too much plastic ).
    And since I am on the lens rant --- do we really need more of the consumer grade f4 - f5.6 type zoom lenses??? I mean they all are too slow and we want fast glass ( at least I do ) You maybe right --- Voigtlander to the rescue

kman

7. melv

melv Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Jan 3, 2010
    South Yorkshire, UK
    There are some really nice, solidly made (i.e. not plastic) lenses made by Voigtlander that can be used via appropriate adaptors. Admittedly the maximum apertures are nothing to write home about, and they are manual focus. I have a 20mm F3.5 Color Skopar, currently in use on a D200, which produces really nice quality photos and is a joy to use. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of my Nikon kit and getting a GH1 to mount it on.

Best regards

Melv

8. voyager

voyager   Charter Member

Dec 31, 2009
    They need to make sure they get a large enough consumer base before they start doing that.

9. chalkdust

chalkdust Mu-43 Regular Charter Member

Dec 29, 2009
    McKinney, Texas
    My longest M mount prime is 90mm. That is near as long as a range finder focus system can go. But with the 10X magnification of the G1 EVF, I could focus a longer lens well enough, I think. So I would be interested in a longish prime. But the shorter ones, like Brian's requested 11mm require me to become a much better photographer to compose a decent image. I suppose there is nothing wrong with self-improvement, so I will add my order to Brian's for a 11mm. But is needs to be a really sharp, low distortion lens.