When's the next OMD out?

mf100

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Matthew
Has anyone got any rumours on when the next version of the OMD will come out?

I know how how we all like to speculate; so what developments do you think Olympus will make on the next version?

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Has anyone got any rumours on when the next version of the OMD will come out?

I know how how we all like to speculate; so what developments do you think Olympus will make on the next version?

When ever u buy from the shop ..that will be the next OMD .
Olympus is fed up with OMD line and leaving for us to manufacture it ..hahahaha :rofl::rofl: Jokes apart what prompted u to think about it?I am very happy with OMD and dont plan to buy an other one soon . I would be happy if Oly dont offer any upgrade for the next 2 years .
Cheers
Bhupinder

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
In my observations..... the speculation and rumors that come out more than a month before an actual real release date are never on the mark.

Every product for every forum, there is always this question. "When is the next INSERT HERE?" I never get this line of questioning. The only logical reasoning is being driven by the rat race of technology.. always needing the best at that time. A good way to go broke buying a lot of stuff for the wrong reasons.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The next camera will probably be a hybrid of FourThirds and Micro FourThirds.

No matter what was said in the FourThirds is dead thread, Olympus has a lot invested in FourThirds lenses and in order to keep sales going they need another FourThirds body, or a way to make phase detect lenses work better with Micro bodies.

I know I'd like to see my 12-60mm and other 4/3 lenses work better with my OM-D.

Lawrence A.

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Larry
Geez. The E-M5 has only been out since April. I doubt whether Olympus will release another one all that soon. But they've surprised me before, like coming out with the E-P2 less than a year after the release of the E-P1. I sent them a scathing letter for that one, as the E-P2 with the EVF was a clear preference for me and it came out only months after my E-P1 purchase.

I really love the E-M5, and I'm afraid when they come out with another model they'll "improve" the layout, which I find just about perfect for me. I hope they wait until sensor technology improvements make another release really worthwhile rather than come out with a tweaked version of the present camera. Or they could take a cue from Leica and release an E-M5 M -- a black and white only version without an AA filter. Now THAT would interest me. But the possibilities, while not endless, are abundant, and most of them would not motivate me to upgrade.

Real Name
M@
The EM-5 is still a pretty damn good camera. Not all that much need to update it yet.

Companies to not, contrary to popular belief, need to put out an updated product every year in order to stay relevant.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
hahahahaha...

"Quesabesde (translation here) modified some of their info. Instead of saying that the High End camera is compatible with MFT and FT lenses they now say “a camera that can take advantage of the full FT lens potential“.

Article continues to say that a special adapter with the camera is a possibility.

SO pretty much the same messaging we've been fed over the years with the FT adapter.. except this time its actually suppose to work properly.

Oh this is still a long way from the supposedly "Hybrid" camera... lol

In the software industry we do this all the time. A fix for a bug or a deficiency of an application is resold back to the public as a so called "feature" in the next release.

Oh yes... development is instructed not to discuss current projects to sales or marketing... because they can't keep their mouths shut. Often some made up feature that is no where close to being complete is sold... development is left working late and weekends to get it done while the sales guy gets a fat commission. So no.. I am not convinced that any customer facing representative is a good source of information.

snkenai

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't think companies release new models, to keep up with technology, so much as, to get the public to buy the next "new" thing. "Keeping up with the Joness", or better still, "first on your block"! Proven by this thread. Looking for the next new OMD, when this one isn't OLD. :confused:

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios
IMHO, sorry, no "hybrid" body, not in a million years. Could we please stop beating up a dead horse? I believe I'm not far from the truth in saying that perhaps the current total exclusive FT users worldwide account to a smaller number than the users of a single CanoNikon APS-C model. It's only a matter of giving them a chance to hold on in their investment in lenses, IMO. And it seems Olympus is going to do exactly that.

Mikefellh

Mu-43 Top Veteran
IMHO, sorry, no "hybrid" body, not in a million years. Could we please stop beating up a dead horse?

It's not a dead horse since Sony has an imaging sensor that has phase detection on it.

And Olympus has all the investment in FourThirds lenses, they WANT to continue to make money from that investment.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It's not a dead horse since Sony has an imaging sensor that has phase detection on it.
But it doesn't work right in a substantial number of cases.
I assume you're commenting on the NEX6 in which pure-CDAF is currently a lot better than their on-sensor-PDAF-with-compatible-lens.

IF Olympus go down that route we should expect a whole hellish turmoil of dashed dreams.
Be very scared!

I wish they'd just made one of them big Sony mirrored adapters ages ago. :|

With_Eyes_Unclouded

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Vassilios

And Olympus has all the investment in FourThirds lenses, they WANT to continue to make money from that investment.

The Four Thirds format has precise specifications, including a mirror box and a specific flange distance. It has nothing to do with on sensor PD-AF. If your assumption is Olympus will come with a mirrorless solution to PD-AF (that will work seamlesly with existing FT lenses), this is my assumption too. This would probably imply an add-on adapter.

To tell you the truth, I'd have no problem with a highly efficient "mirrored" adapter, like the Sony NEX one, if it was technologically feasible. This could obviously be retrofitted to present day cameras, like the OM-D. To be even more honest, I'd even consider it plus certain FT lenses, instead of the current high end :43: zooms (e.g adapter + 14-54mm vs Panasonic 12-35).

My only gripe is with people "demanding" a E-7 Four Thirds camera, i.e. a E-5 with the OM-D sensor plus all the more technologically recent appointments. This is absolutely unrealistic and has been for some time now. Hasn't anyone consider the obvious fact that, if Olympus was interested in this, they would have already done it one year ago?

Steven

Mu-43 All-Pro
I can't imagine that Olympus could improve OMD much at this point to convince previous owners to upgrade. They could go lower and release a dumbed down cheaper model like Panasonic does with their G series. That would be a first for them though and I don't believe it will happen. They would be stealing their own sales in their view and they might as well just stay upmarket.

I think there's a chance the EP line will be revived. Maybe with built in EVF? That would surely be a premium priced model on par with OMD though. I can't believe they will not come out with a model like that soon. Do they not see how Fuji is stealing their lunch with their X line?? :confused:

Latest threads

Top Bottom