1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

When you pull the manual focus clutch on the 17 1.8....

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by broncophil, Apr 17, 2013.

1. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    does the OMD know to automatically switch into manual focus mode.. or do you need change that setting on the OMD as well?

if yes, what about on non OLY bodies?

i have this lens on order but it has not yet arrived. .

2. bmorena

bmorena Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2013
    Not sure about non oly bodies but on my omd when I pull the clutch I make no other changes and everything responds like I would expect with a manual focus lens.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    MF switches on a lens don't require any communication with the camera - they do the opposite, which is to cut off communication to the camera in that respect. So no, it should not require any special settings or technology from the body, and should work the same with any body that is capable of autofocusing that lens.

4. broncophil

broncophil Mu-43 Veteran

May 23, 2010
    got it guys.. thanks.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Personally, I think the manual focus clutch is not that useful - the DOF scale is so ridiculously compressed that's it's almost useless. A gimmick rather than essential feature IMHO!

6. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Unless I am missing a setting...(like having the magnification automatically turn on when using the dial in Manual) I don't see why/how to use this mode on either my 12mm or 17mm...

7. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    It's there for hyperfocal focusing - that is, you set the focus by the distance range you want in focus, not by focusing it using liveview. The idea is that you set the focus dial and just shoot - no re-focussing required for each shot. Effectively, it's a 'focus off' mode!

8. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Oh...I get that...I just don't see how to really get what you want in focus...in focus (without magnification), esp with anything < f/4 or so...

9. pdk42

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The problem is that the DOF scale on the lens is way too conservative and/or the gearing on the focus ring is too sensitive. Either way, as you say the spread of in-focus distances, esp for anything wider than f22 :)frown:) is much too small to be useful.