When y'all said the P20 was slow to autofocus...

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Boneyard, Oct 5, 2012.

1. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    you were not lying.

Relatively new to :43:, only a few months in now, as well as to this forum; though I have been lurking here for awhile. Recently, and against my better judgement, I picked up the P20. I had been saving for the PL25, but a deal came up that triggered the G.A.S. & I went for it. Immediately thereafter, I began to second-guess that decision while the P20 was being shipped to me.

Now that I've received it and slapped it on the GH2, I am appalled by how slow it is to focus. Having only used the kit zoom, which are generally made to focus pretty quickly for the soccer moms, maybe I have an unrealistic expectation for a :43: prime with widely acknowledged lack of AF speed; but this seems utterly absurd.

It is still very early in my time with the P20, so maybe I just haven't been seduced by its ways yet. IQ seems to meet my expectations after thoroughly browsing through the 20 image thread. I knew I wasn't getting the PL25, either in AF speed or IQ (I happen to find the 25 more pleasing, but to each their own), but I could really use some reassurance here that greener days are ahead, because right now some serious buyers remorse is setting in...
  2. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    Give it a week and only use it, then see how you feel.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nothing but misery ahead for you. Send me the lens and I'll give you $100 and save you all that suffering and anguish.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    I'll give you $105, so I can properly dispose of that abomination of a lens.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    You have to give up something for it to be that small. For me the AF speed isn't so bad. I don't even think about it when I use the lens.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    :rofl: I'm a little more patient than that. Probably just needs some time to grow on me.

I'm inclined to believe my concerns are more the fault of my cavern of an apartment than anything else.
  7. Pixelslave

Pixelslave New to Mu-43

May 18, 2012
    It is slow to focus but it can provide you with some incredibly sharp images and has quite a versatile focal length. I've used it for some night landscape shots and had pleasing results. I've also found it can work quite well for street photography (although that's not something I do very often). For the money I've saved I'm glad I bought it over the 25mm as I intend to get the Olympus 45mm at some point.
  8. David

David Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2011
    my panny 14mm and Olympus 45mm is very quick.
    so dont give up on the prime lenses.
  9. homebrewdude

homebrewdude Mu-43 Regular

Sep 26, 2012
    It may be a tad slow, but mine always locks right on.
    Mine doesn't seem to hunt around looking for focus like my Panny zoom does.
  10. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Yeah those two focus much more quickly than the 20mm. I don't even notice the 14mm focusing generally, I just wish it were either wider or longer as the focal length doesn't suit me too well.

I like the 20 for the images it produces and the focal length. I started with the PL25 and got used to it's focus speed. Coming from that and using the 20mm I was also frustrated using it. Personally, I don't have an issue with the size of the 25 like many do. I can still take the hood off and carry it in my coat for a night on the town. Keep saving some cash so if the frustration continues you can bail and move on.
  11. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    I used it almost exclusively and never missed a shot because of it. When it was first released, it was no slower than then the original kit lenses. It's IQ per dollar is still totally unmatched and a ridiculous bargain. I'll give you $110 for it ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  12. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    the way I see it, it's faster than a manual focus lens :) I find it a tad slow, but acceptable. If you want to see slow get an E-PL1 with the original Mk1 kit zoom.

With the money saved (compared to the P25), you'll be able to get the P14.
  13. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sounds like a challenge! Manual versus P20 ... cue dramatic slightly ominous music.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Boneyard

Boneyard Mu-43 Regular

Oct 5, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    i'll agree on the manual focus; as that's primarily what i've been using thus far. i'm primarily a video shooter, but wanted to add something with autofocus in the normal range as a walkabout lens as i branch out into stills.

just got back from a jaunt around my neighborhood while i still had some daylight and it does seem some of my early impressions were due to the ridiculous low light enviroment i was subjecting it to these first few days. think my concerns were a little overblown for the usage i will actually get out of it. appreciate everyones input.
  15. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Its damn slow. If u press the shutter button today , camera might take a pic by tomorrow . U can go for a drive and come back in few hourr to find that ur 20 mm is still hunting for focus ..lol

Jokes apart , there is not a huge difference , Imagine there is no PL25 and then u will realise how important and special this 20 mm is . I have both , I rebought it and still use it more than 25 mm one .
    Here is a video to help u .

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i34FBAFEBUk]20mm 1.7 vs. 25mm 1.4 on Olympus OM-D EM-5 (Silver): Size, AF speed, Image Quality, Price, etc - YouTube[/ame]
  16. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    The focus speed isn't too bad, you just have to learn how to shoot within its limitation. My issue with the focus mechanism is how it deals with video. I much prefer the PL 25 for that. As a still lens it's quite good for what it is. Plus it has really good close-up focusing.
  17. emirabal

emirabal Mu-43 Regular

I think once you have it for a while you will realize the awesomeness (is that a word) of it. its my only lens 90% of the time. known the kit 14-42,, the 14 pancake, the 45-200 and although the 14 is faster, its not that much faster.
  18. littleMT

littleMT Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 8, 2012
    Lucille Sanchez
    I never noticed how slow the auto focus is, since I manual focus as fast as lightining!
    • Like Like x 2
  19. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    +1 - It's not as good as the 25mm for video but otherwise it's a fine lens.I suppose that if you really wanted the 25 you may never be truly satisfied with the 20, but keep working with it. Who knows, you just may come to love it. :biggrin:
  20. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012