When will E-P5 pricing start to wane?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by uscrx, Dec 20, 2013.

1. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I believe eBay completed sales indicate a fair market value for photo equipment, generally speaking.

E-P3 body and kit lens sale prices range from $150 to $300 or so.
    E-P5 complete listings range from $650 and up.

Not that I derive pleasure in depreciating value of our beloved u43 bodies, when do you think E-P5 price will start to come down?

2. Joelmusicman

Joelmusicman Mu-43 Regular

Nov 1, 2013
    They probably won't move down much until the successor comes out. EP5 is still current generation sensor. I wouldn't hold my breath for PDAF sensor from E-M1 in that body any time soon either...

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Yes I think the E-P5 will stay at that price for the next few month until a new one comes out.

4. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The day after you bought one...

• Like Like x 4
  5. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    LOL Hope not...

6. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    I agree E-P6 or P7 will prompt the slide. When is that?

7. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    haha:thumbup:

8. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Lets try to predict the future with some entrails harvested from wikipedia...

P1 - July 2009
    P2 - November 2009
    P3 - June 2011
    P5 - May 2013
    P6/7 - May/July 2015

Crikey... thats a long time to wait! I'm not sure I can wait that long... I have a vf-4 on a PM1... would rather have it on a E-P5...

• Like Like x 1
  9. monk3y

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Wow I did not realize Olympus cameras have long cycles.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I would think not for a while. The P3 used the old Panasonic sensor. The P5 uses the new Sony sensor. Until Sony comes out with a new sensor to replace it, the P5 should hold up pretty well.

11. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    I was thinking of value of current generation sensor too, but look recent holiday selling price:
    E-PM2 body + kit lens + 40-150mm lens combo $350 sold by amazon, BH.
    E-PL5 body + kit lens + 40-150mm lens combo $499 sold by amazon, BH, adorama..,

12. pdbphoto

pdbphoto Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    I imagine that the P-5 price will only drop significantly when a newer camera with a better sensor is introduced by Olympus. For now, a 16 MP sensor (albeit different ones) seems to be the norm, and the image quality between them seems about the same to me. Or am I wrong about that? I suspect the EM-2 will upset the apple cart and cause prices of current bodies to fall quite a bit. When? Who knows?

One nice thing about the days of film was that one could upgrade the sensor by simply purchasing the better films that came out every few years. :) Of course, today's sensors are far better than the best films I used back then, so why do we fuss so much about this?

13. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Darn it....not sure I can wait that long

14. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Why must P6 be equipped with a new sensor? P1-P3 shared the same sensor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app

15. uscrx

uscrx Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2011
    Shasta Cascade
    Lol. Because we want a motordrive too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    The E-P5 is actually not that far off the 1% per week price decay curve that is traditionally used for marketing consumer electronics, so you won't have to wait all the way until the next model comes out. The OM-D E-M5 was fairly immune to price decay right up to the announcement of the E-M1 but that was an exception because of how much of a breakthrough it was at the time it came out. I'd say once you know what price point you're waiting for, just count up the weeks and start putting money aside for when that day inevitably comes.

• Like Like x 1
  17. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Electronic Expo has open-box kits for $1100 at Amazon. Not bad for all the value in it, you get the camera itself for like $300.

I see the used ones go for close to the same price as used EM5s... so it's gone down in resale value much more quickly than its older brother. I wouldn't expect these to drop below the price of a new EP-L5 too soon, though, considering the added value they offer.

18. sgreszcz

sgreszcz Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 7, 2012
    The epl5 dual lens kit was even cheaper in Canada at future shop and Henry's - $349 - which is even less in US dollars. If you sell off the lenses the camera is essentially worth $200.

19. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    More like $500.

20. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I just realised how far m43 have come in 4 years... progress have been rapid.

Release strategy is the same as used by nvidia to kill off 3DFX back in the day. Iterate faster than the competition.