When was the first price drop of E-M5?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by New Daddy, Oct 30, 2013.

1. New Daddy

New Daddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2011
    I don't think I'll be able to afford E-M5 at the initial price. When was the first price drop of E-M5? On Amazon, E-M5 is selling $300 lower than its launch price. E-M1 may not go down the same path, but just for my information.
  2. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    What you actually want is when Cameta gets it in stock as a refurb :)
  3. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    It's a crapshoot. The double edged sword is that if the quality of the initial production lots is really good, that means fewer and later refurbs. If the quality is not so good out of the chute, that means more and earlier refurbs, but you might not want them as much.
  4. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Every Olympus m4/3 camera so far has been available in healthy quantities as refurb a few months after initial release. (Not sure how many months.) By all reports most of these seem to be cleaned up demo units rather than repairs, but the main point is it's a nice way to knock a few hundred bucks off and still have a full warranty. It also pushes the used price down considerably (damnit!) I wish I had the patience to wait ;)
  5. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Castlemaine, Victoria, Australia
    I didn't see any significant price drop for the EM-5 for 6 months after release, then I bought one...

shortly after that prices started to reduce :frown:
  6. Reflector

Reflector Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 31, 2013
    I'll chime in about the refurb: My E-M5 (Black) has a serial of BEJ519xxx. The E-M5s with the potential to develop a crack on the LCD frame are from BEH501001 to BEH517447. 519xxx seems higher than 517xxx for sure, regardless of letters. My E-M5 works perfectly and I would take the refurb route all over again.

I do know Cameta has a problem where sometimes they will ship you a lens instead of a camera, seems they don't check the box if its a refurb camera box or a refurb lens box and ship it. So if you do accidentally get a lens, bug them about it with photos of the box.