1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

When TOP is barking up the wrong tree

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mauve, Apr 5, 2011.

1. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    The Online Photographer: Alice Springs: Portraits

(The title's corresponding idiomatic in french is much more funny in a photographic context as we use 'to self poke one's eye with one's finger' in the sense of to be mistaken - don't ask me why, idiomatics are not meant to be taken too literally).

I like The Online Photographer, even though the editor is clearly biased toward Leica. But he also wrote nice things upon the e-p1 release, so at least, he's a tasteful man.

But in this article, he assumed a classic photography book had been shot with a Leica just by the look of the images. Well, he was wrong and caught red handed by an actual witness of the shootings, who spilled the beans : pictures were taken with an Olympus OM body and a basic 50mm lens.

Thought it was an interesting anecdote : photography is definitively not about the gear, but about the photographer. And it's always hilarious to poke some fun at the expense of a posh person, caught praising something under the wrong belief it was achieved through extraordinary means and at great money expense - and who would probably have turned a blind eye to the book had he knew before hand how humble was the gear used to picture the portraits inside.

Cheers,

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    You've never been wrong? I see nothing more than an innocent assumption, mistakenly made, followed by a good example of how to acknowledge a mistake and rectify it. Mike Johnson may be biased (more to Pentax than Leica though, I would have thought) but those biases are well and truly on the table. And he did acknowledge his error and even put up a bright red "note" to openly acknowledge it. He could have easily edited the post and only a few would have known.

Gordon

3. mauve

mauve Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Ok, I have a weird sense of humor, what can I say... Oh, yes, I made errors, and lots of. But when that happens, well, I'm certainly the first to laugh at my own shortcomings. And I told it in the introduction : I like TOP, it's at the same time deep, insightful, entertaining, and informative. Quite a feat and a recommended reading all around.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.