When TOP is barking up the wrong tree

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
The Online Photographer: Alice Springs: Portraits

(The title's corresponding idiomatic in french is much more funny in a photographic context as we use 'to self poke one's eye with one's finger' in the sense of to be mistaken - don't ask me why, idiomatics are not meant to be taken too literally).

I like The Online Photographer, even though the editor is clearly biased toward Leica. But he also wrote nice things upon the e-p1 release, so at least, he's a tasteful man.

But in this article, he assumed a classic photography book had been shot with a Leica just by the look of the images. Well, he was wrong and caught red handed by an actual witness of the shootings, who spilled the beans : pictures were taken with an Olympus OM body and a basic 50mm lens.

Thought it was an interesting anecdote : photography is definitively not about the gear, but about the photographer. And it's always hilarious to poke some fun at the expense of a posh person, caught praising something under the wrong belief it was achieved through extraordinary means and at great money expense - and who would probably have turned a blind eye to the book had he knew before hand how humble was the gear used to picture the portraits inside.

Cheers,

flash

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Gordon
You've never been wrong? I see nothing more than an innocent assumption, mistakenly made, followed by a good example of how to acknowledge a mistake and rectify it. Mike Johnson may be biased (more to Pentax than Leica though, I would have thought) but those biases are well and truly on the table. And he did acknowledge his error and even put up a bright red "note" to openly acknowledge it. He could have easily edited the post and only a few would have known.

Gordon

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
Ok, I have a weird sense of humor, what can I say... Oh, yes, I made errors, and lots of. But when that happens, well, I'm certainly the first to laugh at my own shortcomings. And I told it in the introduction : I like TOP, it's at the same time deep, insightful, entertaining, and informative. Quite a feat and a recommended reading all around.

Latest threads

Top Bottom