1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

When to use manual focus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by russell, Jan 2, 2011.

1. russell

russell Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2010
    Victoria, Australia
    For many years I only ever used my manual focus OM system. For the past few years I have experienced nothing but frustration from the automatic focus of the cheap point and shoot digital I adopted. Now, contemplating getting a MFT camera I have been reading around trying to understand when and how a properly implemented AE system might be useful. (I'm wondering whether I will be wanting any native lenses apart from the 20/1.7 pancake.)

I had to laugh at this article

5 Situations When Manual Focus is Better than Auto Focus

so thought I might open it for discussion.

Reading the article, I am struggling to think of any situation that would not fall under at least one of the points listed in that article :rofl:.

I would have thought moving targets would be a prime instance as these were always amongst the more challenging ones for me with manual focus... but apparently not!

So, those of you who can competently manually focus -- when do use AE?

2. Depends on what conditions you tend to photograph in I guess, but with an autofocus lens I would only use MF on the rare occasion that the AF can't do the job, which for me would be less than 1% of the time. MF always feels like an afterthought on modern lenses and doesn't really encourage me to use it. The fly-by-wire focus rings on 4/3 and m4/3 lenses have never felt quite right.

3. grebeman

grebeman Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2010
    South Brent, south Devon (UK)
    Barrie
    That's exactly why I tend to use adapted lenses most of the time.

Barrie

• Like Like x 1
  4. I should also add that I come from a background of Canon DSLRs which don't tend to have many autofocus issues even in low light, so I tend to have good faith in autofocus systems.

5. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    The only time I use manual focus is when trying to take motorcycle racing pics. The auto focus on the G1 isn't good enough for fast moving stuff, so I just manual focus on to a section of the track, and with a healthy aperture try and shoot the bikes.

6. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have found that shooting through glass doesn't appear to be nearly as bad a problem with CDAF as it was with PDAF

7. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

As I age autofocus has a greater appeal to me, in fact it is about the only automatic thing on the new cameras that has become my "crutch." I still manual focus for three things, macro photography, zone focus photography and hyperfocus photography.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I like auto focus just fine. I don't shoot macros as a rule, so no need for MF there. I don't shoot a lot of action but AF seems good most of the time when I do. I tend to use MF in two situations. One, when I'm setting the camera for hyperfocal shooting, which I often do on the street. And two, when I"m using a legacy lens for low light indoor portraits. And this is just because its what's available. If there was a good 50mm f1.4 or f1.5 native m43 lens with auto-focus, I'd buy it and let the AF do its thing. There aren't though, so I use a legacy version of that lens (perfect for low light candids) and deal with the manual focus. I don't mind it - I did nothing but manually focus for many years - but I love auto focus when it works and it works more and more often as it gets better and better.

-Ray

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.