When to use flash? Which external flash do you use for E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Dec 19, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Looking for an external flash since it feels naked compared to my E-PM2 which included a flash (not a very good one though).

2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Sometimes I use the little one that comes with the E-M1.

I also have a Nissin i40 (M43 version obviously), which is quite small, powerful for its size, and works very well.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror! Subscribing Member

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use both the fl-36r and fl-600. The fl-600 is really nice, especially if you can score a lightly used version of it.

4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Search is your friend. Search "yongnuo" here and you'll get an afternoon's worth of reading on the subject of external flashes.

5. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    US
    Eric
    I thought the E-PM2 used a small detachable flash powered by the camera body just like the E-M1? Though personally I do not find that type of flash to be very useful.

As others have mentioned, both the FL-600R and Nissin i40 are quite nice -- I purchased the former a year ago when I bought my E-M1 and recently switched to the latter. They are very similar in capabilities, each has their advantages in terms of how they are operated, it's a matter of preference. It's quite a step up in size and price to go to something more, and in my opinion you lose a lot to go to something less, so to me those two are the best choices overall. I highly recommend purchasing NiMH rechargeable AA batteries to power the flash (Eneloops are great). I also find a Sto-fen Omni-Bounce to be useful (the Nissin includes a nice one)...I cut the top out of mine.

Neil van Niekirk's pages on flash photography techniques are a great place to start learning about flash.