When to use flash? Which external flash do you use for E-M1?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by dbzkid777, Dec 19, 2014.

1. dbzkid777

dbzkid777 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2014
    Looking for an external flash since it feels naked compared to my E-PM2 which included a flash (not a very good one though).
  2. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2014
    Sometimes I use the little one that comes with the E-M1.

I also have a Nissin i40 (M43 version obviously), which is quite small, powerful for its size, and works very well.
  3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    I use both the fl-36r and fl-600. The fl-600 is really nice, especially if you can score a lightly used version of it.
  4. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    Search is your friend. Search "yongnuo" here and you'll get an afternoon's worth of reading on the subject of external flashes.
  5. mrerics

mrerics Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2013
    I thought the E-PM2 used a small detachable flash powered by the camera body just like the E-M1? Though personally I do not find that type of flash to be very useful.

As others have mentioned, both the FL-600R and Nissin i40 are quite nice -- I purchased the former a year ago when I bought my E-M1 and recently switched to the latter. They are very similar in capabilities, each has their advantages in terms of how they are operated, it's a matter of preference. It's quite a step up in size and price to go to something more, and in my opinion you lose a lot to go to something less, so to me those two are the best choices overall. I highly recommend purchasing NiMH rechargeable AA batteries to power the flash (Eneloops are great). I also find a Sto-fen Omni-Bounce to be useful (the Nissin includes a nice one)...I cut the top out of mine.

Neil van Niekirk's pages on flash photography techniques are a great place to start learning about flash.