1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

When should we be adding into an existing 'show' thread vs making a new one?

Discussion in 'Help and Feedback' started by red_zergling, Nov 7, 2018.

1. red_zergling

red_zergling Mu-43 Regular

Nov 30, 2017
    Hi!

I became active in this forum this year and wanted to know how I should post new threads with my pictures. Is there a unspoken rule or a guide somewhere? I want to make sure I am respectful of the forum's culture.

Thanks!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  2. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The way I do it -- if I have one or two interesting photos, and I want to showcase them in a "trees" or "wild flowers" or even a lens or body-specific photo thread, I'll put them in an existing one. If I've done a series of pics that I'm either proud of, think might lift up others, or tells a story, I'll create my own thread, but I might choose one or two to ALSO put in the topical threads. The topical threads, in my experience, live longer and get more views over time than a thread you create of just your stuff.

So, in short -- onsies/twosies -- existing photo thread. Something larger -- own thread, and maybe still drop a single into the photo thread.

Would love to hear what others do.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. red_zergling

Nov 30, 2017
    Thanks, all noted! In terms of feedback request, is that something you always post a new thread for? Or is there a designated space you (and any others out there) turn to?

Some of the photos will be overdone in my case since I'll be following in the footsteps of other photographers work.

4. WT21

WT21 Super Moderator Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    If you want feedback there is a sub forum for that

Comments and Critique

Feel free to create your own thread there.

5. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere Subscribing Member

Aug 19, 2016
    New Westminster, BC
    I like @WT21@WT21 's take, and it's how I've proceeded. There is such a selection of Show threads that I often have more than one to pick from for any given image.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. longviewer

longviewer Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 22, 2015
    SW Washington (Longview area)
    Jim R
    I understand how you feel red. Post by body, lens, genre, colour pallette? That's why I post to my 'blog where everyone can ignore them more easily. :p 

• Funny Funny x 6
  7. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. I wish some of those threads would get merged or renamed. Your title is better than the 'original'.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    perhaps cat persons are more used to tricky things, how would I know?

10. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Eh, there seems to have been some pre-existing convention - I still have no idea what 'words/no words' means but it crops up on a couple of other photography forums. I try and find earlier threads to re-use - I'll create something new if the search lets me down.

As per previous comments, I stick with existing forum threads unless I see something obvious that is missing that I feel would have 'legs' in terms of a space for additional contributors or if there is a story to be told that warrants a standalone thread.

11. barry13

barry13 Mu-43.com Editor; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it's pictures, with or without text.

• Like Like x 1
  12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 4, 2010
    Genuine question - are certain forums picky about whether captions or text appear with images ?
    I rarely see it associated with newer threads.

13. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    I believe the "words/no words" on the first cat thread is a reference to the very popular at the time cat photos
    with supposedly funny captions or word overlays - the cat memes, if you will.
    I can haz cheeze? for instance.

I have a cat, I like cats, but not too into cat photos
    unless they are really special - those do come along.

I started a couple of threads a while back when I couldn't find a thread on the subject matter I was interested in.
    Fairly well utilized, but definitely not in the giddy realm of "Flowers" or "Photo Association".
    I've occasionally considered doing a personal thread of some project or other of mine,
    but haven't done it because of feeling my work wasn't up to the interest or technical standard
    of the other personal threads I've seen.
    Some day I'll get my courage up . . . :p 

• Appreciate Appreciate x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm a little amused we have two threads, one name Show: Fall Colors & other Autumn Colo(u)rs & neither the twain shall meet. :rolleyes:  ;) 

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  15. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Not that I know of. Maybe Stephen's theory is better:

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. barry13

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    I'm merging the 2 cat/kitty threads and 3 Fall/Autumn color/colour threads.

Everyone, feel free to reply to me here or tag (@barry13@barry13) if you feel there's other major candidates for merging threads (don't really care about old threads with only a couple posts, even if they're redundant, there's too many).
    Please include links to the relevant threads.

17. junkyardsparkle

junkyardsparkle haunted scrap heap Subscribing Member

Nov 17, 2016
    Like, The Valley
    I dunno... these might be too well established to mess with at this point, but...

show "abandoned"

Show Abandoned

Those had me doubting my sanity (more than usual, I mean) at one point until I figured it out... but maybe that's just part of getting jumped in here... :rolleyes: 

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. popiT

popiT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    BayArea, CA
    Yang
  19. archaeopteryx

archaeopteryx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 25, 2017
    When I started writing this post, in addition to the 71 pages of mainly trees in the merged autumn colors thread we also had 97 pages of trees split across
    I see they've just got merged. :thumbup:

It's a minor thing, but Mushrooms is more of a general fungi thread. Botanically the notion of a mushroom has gotten a bit taxonomically complicated as our understanding has improved and distinctions have come up on many of the pages in the thread. So I would propose tweaking the title to something like "Mushrooms and other fungi" or "Fungi: mushrooms, conks/brackets, crusts, puffballs, corals, etc".

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    • Useful Useful x 2
  20. red_zergling

Nov 30, 2017
    Didn't expect the conversation to go this way, but I'm glad some utility came out from my thread!

• Funny Funny x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.