When setting inbody IS and selecting focal length question.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by aw614, May 9, 2011.

1. aw614

aw614 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2011
    Just wondering, which focal length should I select when I use IBIS and the focal length isnt listed in the settings. I know in the olympus documentation it was mentioned to use the closest focal length for IS on legacy lenses, for example, say I have a Minolta 45mm F/2.0, which would be the best focal length to get the best use of IS? Either 40mm or 48mm? Are there any effects to using IS that is higher or lower than the exact setting on the lens?

2. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    I set my Nikkor 45/2.8 to 48 just because it's arithmetically closer but I doubt it makes any practical difference. After all, the IS doesn't even "know" the exact focal length setting of native zooms, this information being not stepless...

3. Surely the camera must "know" the focal length of a native or 4/3 zoom since it records the same value in the exif data.

In answer to the initial question, I'm guessing that selecting a shorter focal length will slightly under-correct for camera movement, and a longer setting will slightly over-correct. I think either way the IS will still have a positive effect, but perhaps not quite as optimal as if you were able to select the exact value.

4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Yes, but this data is not stepless, is it? Let me check. For instance, my Pan 14-45 kit zoom registers directly "16mm" just after 14, and no matter how I try, jumps from 43 to 45 at the other end. Fine with me why would they bother with double digit precision? Even prime lenses have +/- 3% variations from the nominal focal length length.

Again, I believe all this has sooo little practical influence on the IS efficiency...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Yeah, I don't think a few mm difference either way will affect the IS enough to really notice.

• Like Like x 1