When Pro Sealing Doesn't Work

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by RT_Panther, May 8, 2013.

1. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Interesting read here...
    -> Photographing a Color Run Will Destroy Your Camera Gear--Don't Do It

2. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Sadly, the bright colors and potential for dramatic photos make these events a photographic magnet. Think of how many cameras are ruined. Ouch!

3. jloden

jloden Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2012
    Hunterdon County, NJ
    Jay
    Yikes. I've seen pictures from those events and wondered if people seal their cameras in underwater housings or what. After seeing that (and from a reputable source like Roger) I'm in no hurry to try this with my gear!

4. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Never mind the cameras and lenses. What about people's health? I would not want to get this in my lungs! Whoever started this color bomb throwing should be locked away.

5. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Yeah, I am thinking take a small P&S, stick it in a dry bag (like for sailing), and then shoot away. If it stops water, it will stop color bombs. Oh, and wear a respirator...

6. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    Apparently it is just cornstarch. So the runners are not being exposed to anything worse than say a baker would in the course of their normal job for a few weeks.

As to the cameras - ouch!

As to the event, looks like it is just a for profit event run by a company taking some typical rave craziness and marketing to suburban suckers. I guess if they have fun, someone makes a profit and the only victim is Roger's lenses it is pretty minor vice.