When is EP-4 and EPL-4 arriving? LOL

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by MrDoug, Oct 17, 2011.

1. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Now that I have the EP3 and EPL3, I'm curious when the EP4 and EPL4 will arrive? you buy something today in this Hi-Tech World and wake up the next day .. and something else has replaced it.... sheesh.. :smile:

2. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    But the old saying is "if you can't keep up, you won't catch up" but I can't keep up or catch up to all the new models..

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm old fashioned, and will continue to trudge along slowly with my E-PL2... with an OM Zuiko 50mm f/1.4 instead of the m.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8. ;)

4. They may never arrive...if Olympus chooses to follow the same superstition of the number 4 as Canon, Panasonic, etc.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Doug, I think the only current generation m4/3 bodies you do not yet own are the GH2 and GF3? I think you need to correct this problem immediately! :biggrin:

I love my E-P3, but I kind of wish I would have skipped this generation. I think the next release (5 series?) will most likely be a more significant upgrade (i.e., sensor) and it will be tough to resist. Of course, we will have a tasty GFX1 in a few months...

6. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Oh My... I had the G3 Brown for a couple of days.. it did not feel right for me, but it was BEAUTIFUL.. no doubt.. I sent it back.. but I need to hang on to what I have.. If Oly changes processor soon.. I will have to take out a bank loan.. :smile: but actually I am very Happy with what I have.. just hope the Gas-X I took several days ago hold up.. LOL

7. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Ned..you are a smart man.. I can tell.. for sure..I should do the same..:smile:

8. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Doug.... not that I don't appreciate and look forward to the new stuff coming down the pike (because I do... and I buy it!), but I do think it's always good to remember that new gear won't help create better images than can be created with today's, or even yesterday's gear.

Chasing new gear results in a bag full of nice expensive gear, but doesn't result in a portfolio of stunning images. A skilled photographer can take a G1 or GF1 and 20/1.7 lens and shoot circles around a gear-oriented shooter with a bag-full of all the latest, greatest bodies and lenses.

You will find quite a few photographers who are very gear and specification oriented. But when you look at their work.... often there's little, if anything, really worth even looking at. Lots of obsessing over gear, features, specifications, lots of talk, blah, blah, blah.... and little to show for it. Ask yourself if this is where you want to go as an image maker.

Focus on skills and ability; develop your eye and artistic sensibilities; be very critical of what you produce; focus on shooting more and more; think less about gear; build experience and knowledge. Continually strive for creating stunning images and concern yourself less with gear and updating technology.

Chasing gear is really a fruitless endeavor if the objective is to create great images.

9. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Yes.. I need to get that gear acquisition out of my head..you are absolutely right.. no doubt.. focus on what I have and take more pictures.. I spend way to much time looking at gear instead of looking for ways to take better photos.. I do know it.. glad to have you HIT me OVER the HEAD to drive that in and reinforce that.. I will go to bed tonite thinking of what you said and find a way to do it.. Thanks much.
    Doug:smile:

10. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    Don.. thanks much.. I needed that..
    Doug

11. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Hey man.... you and I have had some conversation around this offline and I knew it would be something important to remind you (and myself!) of!

Separate yourself from the blah, blah, blah that is so commonplace and focus like a laser on creating stunning imagery! Create an amazing image of your.... FOOT!

There are a few folks on this forum doing just that (not shooting their foot, but focusing like a laser on creating stunning imagery). They set a good example to follow!

Best wishes, buddy.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Mr. Doug... by looking at your signature, I don't think you have enough lenses yet to worry about new bodies. You should be lusting after the 25mm Lux, the 25mm Nokton, the 45mm Macro-Elmarit, m.Zuiko 12mm, Lumix 7-14mm, or things like that. ;)

13. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    I beg to differ... Doug (as with most of us) needs to think about creating amazing images with the gear he has (which is plenty), not lust after blah, blah, blah. More lenses will come and come and come. Bodies too. What will that do for him? Give him a bag full of cool gear and empty his wallet.

I think most of us spend entirely too much time fiddling about with bodies and lenses and too little time being image makers. Create images and SHOW THEM! Then go out and make more. Post more images and write less blah, blah, blah.

The focus needs to be on images!

I guess that's a rant. Oh well. Take it or leave it. OK with me.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Lighten up Don, that was totally tongue-in-cheek.

But it wasn't totally farce either, 'cause if Doug really did want to upgrade to better equipment then he should concentrate on glass over bodies, as the performance of bodies don't change much.

But I think we can all agree that Mr. Doug has aqcuired enough new gear for the time being.

• Like Like x 1
  15. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Yes, lenses have the potential to influence images more than bodies. Bodies have relatively little to do with image creation success. But photographers themselves have far more influence than bodies and lenses combined! :smile:

16. Canonista

Canonista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 3, 2011
    L.A.
    Except for that Girlfriend version 1.3 in his signature line. I hear the version 1.4 release is imminent. :wink:

17. C'mon Don, how many Micro 4/3 camera bodies do you currently have, then :tongue:

Sadly I also hear the interface issues have yet to be resolved...

18. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Doug ... don't listen to the killjoys!!! Greed is good. Lust is good. Gear is even better!! :)

19. DHart

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Nic... you have BUSTED ME! Yep... I'm definitely heavily equipment ladden and I speak from experience when I say that having all the gear does little to nothing to enhancing my image creation success. :thumbup: A weak justification MIGHT be that new gear inspires getting out and shooting. But that's really a stretch. If one isn't motivated to create awesome images with whatever gear one has, then new gear will only inspire for a very short period of time... and then where are you? Spending your time thinking about new gear. :rolleyes:

And I'm as guilty as any of having gear lust! :rofl:

Yet, I still believe that many of us need to focus MUCH more on image creation, image sharing, and far less on blah, blah, blah about such and such bodies and lenses! It's a diversion which impedes image creation, really. :frown:

20. Holmes375

Holmes375 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2010
    Rocky Mountains, USA
    That may be but you also have the images to back up your comments.

To MrDoug I would say, one lens - one body - one month. No distractions. Give the rest of your kit to your girl friend for safe keeping.

This will be your vision quest. You may be surprised at what you find inside.

• Like Like x 1