1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

When e-m5 mark II will be announced?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by errante, Jan 8, 2015.

1. errante

errante New to Mu-43

May 24, 2012
    Does anyone knows When e-m5 mark II will be announced?

2. soliony

soliony Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014
    First week in February is what I've read. Really sounds interesting -- "'sensor-shift' shooting mode, which will purportedly allow the Olympus OMD EM5 Mk II’s rumored 16MP sensor to stitch together eight frames into a single high-resolution 40MP image".

3. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    Tsuyoshi Kikukawa president of Olympus America announced in our weekly sales conference call that the camera will probably be announced the first week of Feb.

During the call he also hinted that there could be a startling new announcement for a medium format Olympus digital camera. It will the worls smallest medium format camera targeted to compete against cameras like the Leica S2 and Pentax MFD. There will also be 5 new lenses for the camera announced though at the present the focal lengths have not been announced.

No mention of the expected retail price but for year 2015 the cameras will only be sold in the US and Canadian markets.

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    This would be unexpected.

5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Crikey - with the parlous state of Oly's finances, I'm amazed they can afford the R&D to develop a completely new Medium Format system. Still, I guess thinking strategically, there is the risk that MFT loses the battle against the FF systems, so perhaps it's a contrary bet against that possibility. Interesting for sure!

6. sagar

sagar Mu-43 Regular

Jun 7, 2012
    I will not be surprised if 43rumors picks up this thread and declares Oly launching Medium Format Camera :D

• Like Like x 1
  7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Olympus O.M.G = medium format :rolleyes:

8. m4/3boy

m4/3boy Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 21, 2013
    I can't say more than I have but think about Sony's investment into Olympus and the new curved sensor which would potentially allow for engineering and production of the world's most compact MFD camera ever.

9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I was thinking about that as well. lol

So those of us who invested much into the m4/3 will have to regret over it? I hope m4/3 will still continue to grow and not abandoned like the old 4/3.

10. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Hmmm, that just sounds too good to be true to me. Thats a lot more than a "hint". And five new lenses :suspect2: Nah, sorry, but I don't buy it. Unless we're talking about a five-year plan or something.

If true, it would be very interesting of course but I'm staying with m43 until a revolutionary lens tech can miniaturise the lenses too (give me liquid lenses already!)

11. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    About a month ago there was an interview of some Oly executive on 43rumours where he was asked about a chance of an Olympus medium format camera and the answer was there's NO plans to make one. I believe that statement and I don't believe in 5 new lenses either (unless they're just in new colours...) :biggrin:

12. hankbaskett

hankbaskett Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2012
    Is this medium format OMD EM(edium)F(ormat) going to have 6 axis IBIS? Sony showed it was possible with Full Frame in the A7 mk. II, so I don't think Olympus has much of an excuse to not include it...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waacof2saZw

13. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Is that because this is the market that expects everything to be 'biggest & best'? :wink: :biggrin:

14. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Or, it could be the world's first medium format camera with four thirds format sensor. And then as Pake said there will be new 14-42 lens with 5 different colours.

15. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Yea, this is the bit of the original post throws more doubt onto its believeability. Why restrict yourself to just two markets?

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

One of Steve Jobs's business rules was to never be afraid of cannibalizing yourself.
    "If you don't cannibalize yourself, someone else will," he said.

I bet it would wok great with Petzval lenses, at the least they would have more in focus areas.

17. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    Already seen the registration process in Indonesia, origin country made in Vietnam

18. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    .... new 14 - 150 R ......

19. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    I would like to have organic sensor, liquid lenses and Lytro focusing in my system. All the big hooha, but not in the mass market yet.

20. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    Building a camera is not tje issue, technology for that is becoming a commodity. It's the ecosystem around the camera that counts.