When does shutter shock come into play

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by TJC-MFT, Feb 23, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    I am shooting with an EM 1 and I am a little bit confused as to when to use anti shock or silent. At what point should I be switching to anti-shock or silent?
    If I have encountered it I haven't recognized it, perhaps I just rejected pics assuming it was poor technique or focus issues. Thanks in advance for any insights.

2. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    Shutter Shock is usually an issue in the shutter speed range between 1/60 and 1/320th
    Most users set 0 Second Anti Shock and leave it on all the time (at least that's what I do)
    0 second anti shock settings are the ones with the diamond - there are single shot and continuous settings for Anti Shock on later firmware versions on the EM1
    The Anti Shock 0 settings will only work between the Shutter shock sensitive Shutter Speeds and the Anti Shock (which is an electronic first shutter curtain which greatly reduces the shutter slapping and resulting vibrations which can cause image blur) disengages outside of those speeds as outside of these speeds SS is not an issue
    Hope this helps
    Regards
    Rob

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Thanks Rob. This was a big help. I was thinking it only came into play at low shutter speeds. Didn't realize that it could be a problem at the settings you quoted. This may explain some of the us sharp images I sometimes get. I 'll change my settings and give this a try for a while.
    Cheers.

4. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Some lenses are more susceptible to SS than others but the Olympus Electronic First Curtain System (0 sec AS) is quite effective at reducing these problems including on Panasonic lenses

5. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Ok dumb question, where in the menu is the 0 AS set?

6. HalPAnderson

HalPAnderson Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 27, 2014
    Canada
    Shooting Menu 2.

7. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It's a good idea to have both mechanical & silent shutter settings at 0 seconds (in Menu 2) & only change to longer times if & when needed (maybe for some occasion on a tripod perhaps). All shutter delay times in Anti-Shock uses the electronic first curtain now (latest FW) & not just at 0 seconds.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Just set it and leave it. I can't think of a good reason in normal photography to not use the 0s delay. Mind you, 0s is a bit of a misnomer - it's actually an additional delay of about 20ms between the first curtain opening and the exposure starting electronically.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    damn it!
    Thank you for the info. I thought shutter shock was only an issue with the E-P5 but didn't know E-M1 has it too. I fixed it on the E-P5 a while ago.
    So, that explains why my new E-M1 is giving me images that I thought were caused by my sloppy manual focusing on a lens that I thought was pin sharp, but what I saw was double edge on fine details instead of blur..
    Glad I read this thread or I would have probably taken a whole bunch of images before realizing what's going on and investigate.
    More and more I find very useful info on this Forum...

Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. TJC-MFT

TJC-MFT Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2013
    Cheboygan, Michigan
    Tom Cadwalader
    Thanks

11. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

You have updated the FW to 4.1, haven't you? FW 1.3 gave us the initial 0 Sec Anti-Shock while FW 4.0 gave us the complete version with sequential shooting & electronic shutter etc.

12. gnarlydog australia

gnarlydog australia Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2015
    Brisbane, Australia
    Damiano Visocnik
    updated 10 days ago so I assume that is the V 4.1, with all the different options, including full electronic shutter, which BTW didn't know it wouldn't go below 1/8sec and caused me mild embarrassment :blush:
    Thanks for checking on this newbie :bravo-009:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Robstar1963

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Don't forget if using electronic shutter that there may be motion blurring with fast moving subjects - like cars going past and with flash where you can get banding
    Regards
    Rob

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Very informative thread - I learned from it. Thanks.

15. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    is shutter shock something that affects every E-M5 or just some cameras? I don't think I noticed it on mine before.

16. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @Zancrow@Zancrow It certainly happens in the first E-M5. It was a long time before I discovered and fully understood it. I was often frustrated with sharpness and it seemed intermittent so I thought it was my sloppy handling of the camera. In the E-M5 the lowest setting available is 1/8th sec. delay which I've become used to when shooting subjects where timing it not important such as posed photos and static subjects. I just got the Mark II version and find the '0 sec' mode is fast enough that it works for timing sensitive subjects. It's also a much quieter shutter than in the original E-M5.

BTW: Are you a Fairy Tail fan? If so, should I be concerned about your selection of the character for a namesake? ;)

17. Zancrow

Zancrow Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2014
    Ah good to know, might need to do some tests myself, been thinking about an upgrade for a while anyways. And to answer your question, yes I'm a Fairy Tail fan. ZAncrow its one of my favorite characters along with Natsu and Gajeel. :p

18. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

I have been using EM5s for several years and have not encountered this, although it may have been happening without my knowledge. What is the best setting for general photography, and how do I make the adjustment?

19. felipegeek

felipegeek Mu-43 Enthusiast

Jan 8, 2014
    Miami, FL
    Felipe
    @Zancrow@Zancrow I noticed it in the EM5 more between 1/60-160. I don't recall seeing the issue above 1/200. The Mark ii has an auto mode that turns off the delay which I noticed today shooting in bright sunlight with fast shutter speeds.

I'm in the Grand Magic Games for the second time. That's where my daughter started me off to get into it. We then went back and started from the beginning.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

So, how do I set it on my EM5?