1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

When did you decide to sell your DSLR gear?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by mintchoco, Jan 31, 2013.

1. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    So, my 'other' system is a Nikon D7000. Right now, all I have with it is the 35/1.8 and 18-200 and SB400 flash.

I've newly acquired the OMD EM-5. From everything I've read (still need to do more personal testing), the OMD EM-5 will match or beat my Nikon D7000 for the most part. Is there ANY REASON why I would consider keeping the Nikon still? I'm just a hobbyist and mostly take photos of the familiy.

Thanks! :)

When did you dump your DSLR gear?

2. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    When the G5 came out and the 35-100 was pretty close.

I'm covered 14-200 FF equivalent with pro quality glass and a cheap body that's good enough for 99% of photos I take (I'd like the GH3 simply because it handles highlight recovery better) but I'm an occasional photographer and I'm waiting for that sensor to become available in s cheaper body. The trade off for a slightly worse picture out of the G5 (compared to the 5D2 with L lenses I had previously) is that the ergonomics are so much more advanced.

3. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    If I was a hobbyist, I would sell all my Canon gear right now without any regrets (and would buy some more lens with the money... lol)

As a pro, I'm still debating on that move, especially for weddings. I would miss the render of my 35 f/1.4 on the FF and the low light efficiency of the 5DII. My fear is also client perception. But I might still do the move at the end of the wedding season.

• Like Like x 2
  4. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    A good chunk of my living is photography; I decided to sell off my Canon DSLR gear back in October, starting with my 7D to fund the OMD. The OMD just smokes the 7D in image quality, sharpness, noise (lack of). After playing around more with it, I finally sold my 5D workhorse. No regrets.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Rockinggoose

Rockinggoose Mu-43 Regular

Not until m4/3rds can photograph birds in flight better than my 7D, which I can't see being very soon. But I'm always ready to trial any new camera that claims it can. I say "trial" because I was sorely disappointed with the useability of my E-M5 compared to my E5 after I'd bought it - so no new technology puchase for me until someone (preferably me) has tested it extensively! If that can ever be possible.

David

6. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    I love my 5DIII and may not give it up in the near future. Actuall just got it no too long ago. So far my FF camera and my mu 4/3 have different uses for me.

7. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    October 10th, 2009.

Since then, I've had a couple DSLRs come and go, but > 95% of my photography has been with Micro 4/3.

8. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    The big thing that your D7000 can do better than the E-M5 is focus tracking of moving subjects. If that's important to you (as the BIF example above), than keep the D7000. Otherwise, if you're happier with m43, then sell away.

I'm contemplating selling my Nikon gear to acquire more m43 gear myself.

9. erb3742

erb3742 Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    Southern California
    Eric
    When I realized I stopped taking pictures because of the bulk. Sold my Canon gear before a big trip to Europe last October to buy the OM-D and haven't looked back. I find myself taking the camera out with me more than I ever used to with the DSLR.

10. dino8031

dino8031 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2012
    Boulder, Colorado
    I sold all my Canon gear almost immediately after buying an EM-5 last Spring.

I do miss some of the lenses, Sigma 50mm, 17-55, 10-22, 24-105, until I actually pick up an XXD or even a Rebel with a big lens attached.

I'd have a really tough time going back to hauling one of those monsters around again. I'm very happy I made the move to m4/3's.

IQ wise I feel like I spend a little more time in PS tweaking photos that are really important to me, but all in all the IQ is pretty much a wash.

I'm really digging the 12, 20, 25, 45 and 75mm primes. Very impressive.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    This. I know I could get similar rendering with the 17.5mm f0.95 (albeit at a significant price premium) and I wouldn't miss the AF since my 35mm f1.4 is the Samyang, but I use it on my 5DII with Magic Lantern's focus peaking, which isn't available on m43 (yet).

• Like Like x 1
  12. I haven't completely, but in no way do I need to keep a DSLR. However I do still appreciate the different shooting experience and the different output that comes from using another brand of camera/sensor/lens. There was never a real "light bulb" moment of when I decided a DSLR was superfluous for me since I made a fairly gradual transition, but I find myself now with a cameras that are smaller, lighter and offer so many more features and shooting options than I had previously. The IQ is still there, it's just different since it is now by Panasonic and Olympus rather than Canon.

• Like Like x 1
  13. arentol

arentol Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2012
    I began selling off my 20k worth of Canon gear the day I ordered my E-M5. Based on reviews and photos found places like this I knew immediately that I was going to be happy and able to commit to m4/3rds.

14. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    It happened the day after going on a hike with m4/3 gear.

Don't go on hikes.

• Like Like x 2
  15. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I joined the "converted" late in 2012, when I bought an OM-D and an E-PM2 and realized that they were similar in IQ to my Canon DSLRs, were much smaller and lighter, and had more accurate focus.

Prior to that, I had held onto my Canon system for a year, with very occasional usage, not quite believing that it could be replaced, especially for indoor sports.

I am reluctantly hanging onto a NEX-5n body for manual focus lenses because of peaking focus-assist, and I have an LX7 for casual photos and videos.

16. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    2011, after 9 months with the E-P1 and E-PL1.

17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    When I found that the :43: gear would allow me to get the photographs I wanted to make without the bulk and weight of a Nikon D300 / D70S kit.

I sold the Nikon gear and now have an EM-5 / EPL-1 kit.

I did 'test' the :43: gear in various venues before selling off the Nikon. I think using the :43: kit before selling off one's DSLR kit is key, if it can be done. It would be a very expensive mistake to sell off one's usable gear to purchase new gear that turns out to be not quite the thing. Also there may be some emotional impact - if one has been a Nikon shooter for thirty years a sudden switch of brands may leave one feeling somewhat bereft. Also one may have to explain to one's friends why one has made a sudden 'about face' when one has been preaching the Nikon gospel for decades :eek:.

For my purposes the :43: gets me where I want to go without the bulk and weight of a full Nikon kit - but I am an amateur, not a professional, and I have promised myself that I will never, ever photograph another wedding or corporate special event. Other's mileage may vary, of course.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  18. Salt Peanuts

Salt Peanuts Mu-43 Regular

May 26, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Haj
    I sold my Nikon D700 setup after developing tendinitis in my wrists. The tendonitis eventually got to the point I really wasn't using the camera or bringing it with me to places since I'd be in pain during and after using it. Once I saw that E-M5 offered what I wanted (good AF, lens selection, and decent high ISO performance), I ordered one and then sold the Nikon setup shortly after. I had seriously considered going with Fuji or NEX system, but the AF (along with other things) was abysmal on Fuji at the time and NEX lens lineup was lacking in good primes.

I do really miss the photos I got out of D700 as well as 105DC, though.

19. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    Regarding focus-peaking, if you have an E-M5 (not sure if it works on other cams) check out this thread for a hack. I don't know how that compares to NEX implementation, but it works like a charm on the E-M5.

20. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Have you started reading the Strobist? And have you used CLS to do multi-light setups? Not that your OMD can't do that stuff, either, but there are a lot more cheap third-party TTL radio triggers & speedlights for Nikon than there are for mft. So far, I haven't yet seen $45 radio triggers capable of TTL and HSS and remote commanding for mft. And I have for Canon/Nikon. (Yongnuo YN-622). And it's not like there's an mft version of the YN-568EX.