What's your weather?

billca

Mu-43 Veteran
I will say this for where I live, and most of temperate Australia: we can complain all we like about our hot spells (which bring the added fear of bushfire), but at least the coldest we get is around 0 Celsius, definitely no snow except at high altitudes. My hat is off to you folk who must deal with similar heat AND perishing cold. The idea of driving in snow leaves me feeling ill. Although, I've never been in snow, so I really have no idea about that.

That's OK. I'm not sure I could handle 45C. Does that come with humidity.

coffeecat

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rob
- 23F here. Chicago-suburbs.
It's currently just below freezing in my bit of SW England, and tomorrow we'll get a very small amount of snow which will bring the entire city to a total halt. But the coldest weather I've ever experienced in my life was in Chicago one January a few years back, where it was -40 degrees, including wind chill. That was really very unpleasant indeed. The only good bit of it is, I don't have to specify if I'm talking Celsius or Fahrenheit...

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
The idea of driving in snow leaves me feeling ill. Although, I've never been in snow, so I really have no idea about that.
I grew up in a snowy place and learned how to drive when the road is white. If it's not icy but with softer snow on the road driving is actually fun with a decent car (not a pick-up truck or monster SUV). Winter tires of course are mandatory.
But snow on the road is nothing but a distant memory for me now: most days 31C and sunny

Photo: Petra Ries _used with permission
sunny riding.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
It's currently just below freezing in my bit of SW England, and tomorrow we'll get a very small amount of snow which will bring the entire city to a total halt. But the coldest weather I've ever experienced in my life was in Chicago one January a few years back, where it was -40 degrees, including wind chill. That was really very unpleasant indeed. The only good bit of it is, I don't have to specify if I'm talking Celsius or Fahrenheit...

This is not including wind chill temps. The wind chill down in Chicago can be brutal with winds off of the lake. 4 - 5 years ago we had a day when the high was - 30 F.

tonyturley

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I grew up in a snowy place and learned how to drive when the road is white. If it's not icy but with softer snow on the road driving is actually fun with a decent car (not a pick-up truck or monster SUV). Winter tires of course are mandatory.
But snow on the road is nothing but a distant memory for me now: most days 31C and sunny

Photo: Petra Ries _used with permission
View attachment 715525
Why are you driving on the wrong side of the road? :D Seriously, I'd get myself killed if I tried driving Down Under or over in Europe. 45 years of driving on the right hand side, so that image just looks wrong to me.

Back to our previous discussion of weather woes!

gnarlydog australia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Damiano Visocnik
Why are you driving on the wrong side of the road? :D Seriously, I'd get myself killed if I tried driving Down Under or over in Europe. 45 years of driving on the right hand side, so that image just looks wrong to me.

Back to our previous discussion of weather woes!
here you go: fixed ;)

sunny riding_flip.JPG

I mix it up: mostly on the left (Downunder) and for a few months a year on the right (Europe or US and A)
Speaking of weather, we could do with some rain here: things are starting to look a bit too "deserty" for my liking :(

ivoire

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
mike
Don't come back for a few days (if you are). Supposed to be -20's tomorrow and -50's wind chill.

Saw that. Staying in Florida until end of March. I think I should have gone to Goa, India instead. Golfed today in the Orlando area in 42 degrees (that's like golfing in Chicago in mid November). I'm grateful I can get out without frostbite!

jbruce

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
John
Northern Minnesota--currently -26 F. and predicted -39 at 8:00 AM, and that's not the hokey wind chill, real, gut-busting, honest, straight-up temperatures off the thermometer.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
2DC42762-937E-4C48-A3C2-0A688C2D310B.jpeg
Today I tried to go to a local reservoir that is out on the moors, great for pics and I thought would have looked stunning with a snow covered backdrop... but the road was impassable... well for my car anyway!

MetilHed

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeff
Saw that. Staying in Florida until end of March. I think I should have gone to Goa, India instead. Golfed today in the Orlando area in 42 degrees (that's like golfing in Chicago in mid November). I'm grateful I can get out without frostbite!
53 on Monday though :)

Real Name
Steve
View attachment 715778 Today I tried to go to a local reservoir that is out on the moors, great for pics and I thought would have looked stunning with a snow covered backdrop... but the road was impassable... well for my car anyway!

A couple of inches of ice is just as hard to drive on as a couple of feet, those rocks look like an expensive side-swipe waiting to happen, better than rolling off the edge, I guess.

I'm a volunteer 'snow warden' will probably spend the morning clearing snow from public steps (hoping there's no hidden dog shit) and gritting.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
A couple of inches of ice is just as hard to drive on as a couple of feet, those rocks look like an expensive side-swipe waiting to happen, better than rolling off the edge, I guess.

I'm a volunteer 'snow warden' will probably spend the morning clearing snow from public steps (hoping there's no hidden dog shit) and gritting.
Yup... that's why I gave up, ditched the car and walked (my car below). Only lasted about 20 minutes before turning back (my destination was a half hour walk on a good day!).
P1310583-1.jpg

The road is a difficult drive when clear, a single track road with rocks and drops all along it... full of twist, turns, rises and falls. The further up I got, the worse the conditions became, even walking was difficult because of the ice.

P1310602-1.jpg

P1310585-Pano-1.jpg

P1310601-HDR-1.jpg

Amazingly, and in spite of me telling them of the conditions a car made an attempt to go up the road. They had to run up at the first hill to get over the brow, making it on their second attempt, however I know this road and the first rise isn't the worst one and they wouldn't have the benefit of actual grip to make any more rises! Hopefully they made it over safely.

First attempt (fail)
P1310607-1.jpg

Second attempt (passed... but worse to come!)
P1310610-1.jpg

Real Name
Walter
I almost hate to tell you... It's 75 F outside, mostly sunny with a few clouds. NE trades blowing 24 mph with gusts to 34 mph. Several days ago, the low temps were in the 60's and we were wearing our jackets and fleeces. Dang, tropical blood runs thin. :)

Groundhog Day (Mongoose in Hawaii) Update: I guess I spoke too soon. It was a beautiful morning yesterday, only to change to overcast skies and heavy rain as the evening came on. Still raining heavily this morning. Oh well, that's why the place is so green. Still "cold" enough for us to use two blankets. Welcome to the tropics!

Last edited:

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
It was a balmy 8°F (-13°C) on my drive in to work this morning. Supposed to be 0°F (-18°C) when I leave work today, with a wind chill of -20°F (-29°C).
Ditto... ploughed my driveway yesterday and after 10 minutes I thought the ends of my fingers were going to fall off... and I even have heated handles on my snowblower...

All I could think of was I wouldn’t be able to use my cameras anymore and any future photography would go something like this... “Siri, open camera... Sisi, take photo!” All the while doing it hands free... with my iPhone on a selfie stick that’s been duct taped to my forehead.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
All I could think of was I wouldn’t be able to use my cameras anymore and any future photography would go something like this... “Siri, open camera... Sisi, take photo!” All the while doing it hands free... with my iPhone on a selfie stick that’s been duct taped to my forehead.

Thought that's how you youngsters did things these days.

Jay_M

Mu-43 Top Veteran
70 F and partly cloudy :biggrin:

Sunset last night
P1054357_FB.png

Latest threads

Top Bottom