1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's your photography new year resolution for 2014?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by onlyablur, Jan 4, 2014.

1. onlyablur

onlyablur Mu-43 Regular

Jul 3, 2012
    Hungary
    I don't normally have any new year resolution because I know I tend to slack as soon as the 1st Jan passed...So I thought by posting a thread here on the forum, it will help motivate myself to achieve my goals. I will also put these in my signature, and tick it off when I fulfil it.

Of course my biggest goal is to take better photos, but this year I have these specific goals - measurable goals are easier to achieved!

1. To finish editing the 2012 photos (it's 2014, I know...), archive and back them up properly
    2. To make a photo album for my son's first birthday
    3. To read one photography book a month
    4. To improve my composition technique

I will work hard to achieve them :)

And now, what's yours?

2. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    No. 3 and No. 4 for me too.

I don't have plans to upgrade my gears this year, honestly I'm quite satisfied with three primes combo and a fuji backup, so all I'm going to do is practise.

3. Gillymaru

Gillymaru Mu-43 Veteran

My resolution is to off load some of my least used equipment and round out my lens collection with the purchase of the 7-14mm.
    I also plan to concentrate on making images that I can put together to make into photographic projects.

4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    More shooting less buying!! hehe

5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I have the same one, so just to help I purchased an X100 right before the end of the year (I should've just bought your Ricoh Steven!). That might keep me on the straight and narrow a bit longer...

My real goal is do a few photography projects with my 8 yr old over the winter when she is more trapped in the house. I got a book for Christmas full of photo projects and DIY type stuff. I'd probably never do most of it, but it will provide some good dad/daughter ideas.

6. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    4800 x 3200.

7. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011
    A. Spend far more time in Death Valley and get to know the Arizona Strip, from Gold Butte to Toroweap.
    B. Double my sales.
    C. Finally become as 'fluent' in PS as I am in LR (this one is the daunting one)

8. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Mine as well, top resolution of the year is to not buy anything electronic (I'm a gadget geek). I think I bought and sold over a dozen cameras last year. Wasted lots of time buying and selling instead of taking pictures.

I think its funny how some people loathe the new year resolution thing. Its all about making you stronger and smarter. It shouldn't be a punishment. Another amusing thing is when they fall off, it's over and done with. When you fall off, get right back on the horse and continue riding.

9. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Haha Somebody got a really good deal on that one Dean. :smile: It's an awesome piece of camera!! Well the x100 is no slouch either so you should be fine with that.

That's a great project you are planning, at least you have a plan:biggrin:

10. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    Daros
    I think I'll actually try and finish a photo project this year. I'll start with attempting to finish just one project this year. That should be doable, right? :biggrin:

11. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Hopefully make a few great trips and take some great pictures, and make a few nice prints. Last year was a bit of a bad year - stolen memory cards (Galapagos and Ecaudor shots gone), E-M5 stolen...since replaced it with a very nice new setup.

12. mf100

mf100 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 26, 2012
    Sawbridgeworth, England
    Matthew
    I purchased the FL600R flash gun, but then never used it as I realised a didn't have a clue how to use it to it's full potential. So my New Year's resolution is to get good at flask photography.

13. Etude

Etude Long Exposure Addict

Jun 24, 2013
    My resolution is to wake up early on weekends to catch the sunrise for photo takings.
    : )

14. Ramirez

Ramirez Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    A lot more nature photography. It is good for the mind and the body :smile:
    I'll specially walk a lot more in the woods around where I live.
    Now when I'm waiting on my GH3; I'm looking forward to have a m4/3 setup with two cameras for my nature walks. Wide lenses on the GH3 and long lenses on the E-M5 (due to IBIS).

15. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    MJ
    I'm continuing the journey I started mid-2013. :)

1) Quality, not quantity. Just because I CAN take a gazillion shots in burst mode doesn't mean I should.

2) Reduce the blur. While I try to embrace the blur as I know it's unavoidable in some situations with two boys, I'm going to work to reduce the number of blurry shots I end up with.

3) More shooting, less post processing. This goes hand-in-hand with #1 I think. I'm developing a good workflow for post processing, now I need to get out and intentionally shoot more.

4) Street photography. My boys are getting sick of the camera in their face. I'd really like to get more comfortable shooting candid street photography.

4) Print more. No commentary needed.

16. colbycheese

colbycheese Mu-43 Veteran

May 1, 2012
    Way up there.
    My resolutions for this year include:
    1. not worry about the fact that there is better cameras/lenses out there and just use what I have.
    2. take more photos (I have been quite lazy recently, probably because of the holidays)
    3. not be afraid to experiment more
    4. organize my photos on my computer.

17. Mine is to shoot less and procrastinate over gear more. The backlog of unprocessed images just gets bigger each year.