1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's your photography education?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Cassady, May 10, 2012.

1. Cassady

Cassady New to Mu-43

May 4, 2012
    I've been looking around this forum a bit (and posting a little bit) and I'm curious: what is your background in photography? Did you pick it up on your own or do you have formal training?

If you have formal education in photography, did you study journalism, fine art or something else? Did you get, or are you getting, a degree in journalism or art? Did you (or are you) major(ing) in photography?

Even thought I wasn't an art major, when I was a student I took a lot of photography courses in the art department of a state university. I think knowing a bit more about what sort of training people have had will be interesting.

2. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I read the forums at mu-43.com. They give you an excellent education. ;)

• Like Like x 8
  3. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Luke
    I have no education in photography and it shows

• Like Like x 3
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I took a course in the mid-80s, but that was mainly on dark room stuff. Does that count?

5. MizOre

MizOre Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2011
    Reading a lot, living near major museums at different times in my life, reading more, running a range of cameras, stopping for a while and doing something else (seriously, taking a break from anything you don't have to do for a living came be useful), looking at photos on line where the most salient factor always would be composition over sheer technical qualities (really). Reading Arnheim on visual perception.

6. wlewisiii

wlewisiii Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 16, 2011
    Hayward, WI
    William Barnett-Lewis
    Self taught pretty much. Lots of rolls of film of lots of mundane things. A few good books here and there (the Ansel Adams trilogy, Bill Jay's books) and looking at every image I can.

7. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    no obvious photography training... I do come from a creative/art/design background...degree in Industrial Design... a post grad in Multimedia.

definitely become a more assured photographer over the last 5 years... thats mainly down to spending more time doing it...and being more aware about composition....though that seems to come naturally to me.

One thing I am sure about is that photography is about the photographer not the camera...lots of megapixels and dynamic range and super sharp lens are good to have... but in the end don't/can't take good images if they are not used properly

K

8. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I started off in the 80's taking naked pictures of my girlfriend in highschool....its been going down hill after that

• Like Like x 13
  9. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    damn... i missed that class !!!!

:)

K

• Like Like x 1
  10. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Haha you guys are hilarious. Comedy Majors?

I majored in Fine Art.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I have a undergraduate and graduate degree in fine arts, learning traditional b&w in a dark room. The only camera I used for like 10 years was a Pentax KX and used 75% of the time Kodak Tri-X 400, with one lens- a 50mm f1.4 :2thumbs: STILL one of my favorite cameras. Self teaching was the best teacher though.

I've taught basic photoshop (for artists uses, not so much for photographers), and intro to photo (all b&w dark room) about 10 years ago. In one of my photoshop classes I had a student (who was 18 and never used a film camera before) ask why the dodge tool icon looked like a black lollipop. I said "Uh, well, in a dark room it's usually a bent up wire coat hangar with a ball of masking tape on the end, and you wave it around the photo paper when it's being expo... you have no idea what I'm talking about do you?"

• Like Like x 1
  12. landshark

landshark Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2010
    SO CAL
    Various classes in High School and College, some years selling plus a few more years assisting but mostly self teaching on the job for over 30 years

13. sam_m

sam_m Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2010
    My first ever use of what i would still class as digital photography was the early 90s with digitising video camera images into an amiga 500 and then printing out on a dot matrix printer and i used to think it was incredible :laugh1:, the art and design teacher at the time (this was for a gcse in the uk) was amazed you could do this and allowed me to use it as part of my coursework.

Did a gcse in photography in the 90s and failed this, due to my weak academic skills, and then a diploma in art & design which was the start really of doing alot of image manipulation on computers including post processing on digitised images.

I never imagined back then that photography would be where it is at today.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Jdumas

Jdumas Mu-43 Regular

I'm starting my BFA in photography this fall. Very nervous LOL

• Like Like x 1
  15. ssgreenley

ssgreenley Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 12, 2011
    Wow, ya'll are all so educated! I took some art history classes in college and have always frequented museums, but I had nothing but disdain for photography until a couple of years ago. I thought it was nothing but capturing images of beautiful things created by other people (or God, I guess, in the case of landscapes). Then I went to a Man Ray exhibit in which they had his photos of primitive art juxtaposed with the pieces of art he'd photographed, and I realized that he was, in fact, created art all his own. Next thing I knew, I had bought myself a beautiful EPL2 and have been learning everything I can. I'm hoping to start taking some night classes in the fall...

16. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    I wish I had a more formal education in this area. Scraped though one high school digital photo class. And didn't really get involved for almost a decade until I guess the last 2 years. Hurray for an "online education" in photography.

17. Iconindustries

Iconindustries Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I'm a mechanic and bought a camera. Since learning stuff off this forum and tinkering I'm slowly getting better and better. I hope!
    I never new how fun photography really is until I got a few primes, that's when a whole new world literally opened in front of my eyes.

recent stuff

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/7115432177/" title="P1020299 - Version 2-2 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"500" height="375" alt="P1020299 - Version 2-2"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6884717498/" title="Jasmine by iconindustries, on Flickr">"500" height="375" alt="Jasmine"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6902110311/" title="P1160666 by iconindustries, on Flickr">"500" height="334" alt="P1160666"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6992414501/" title="Up in a puff of smoke by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6992414501_4f96e12d36. "500" height="334" alt="Up in a puff of smoke"></a>

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/50527022@N02/6846290328/" title="Burning Tendrils by iconindustries, on Flickr"> 6846290328_6f3ab8169c. "500" height="334" alt="Burning Tendrils"></a>

• Like Like x 3
  18. kevinparis

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    nice stuff icon....just need to get a wee bit closer on those portraits... though #3 is getting there

for everyone

the mechanics of photography is simple... and composition of an image can be broken down to rules.... finding a subject, a reason or a style for your images.... thats where it gets interesting

K

• Like Like x 2
  19. I thought that the best training courses for photography would be on how to run a business. The actual photography part you just learn by practicing...

20. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I took some courses as the local community college. They were... okay. I don't feel that much improved by taking them. Getting tired of half ass explanations of aperture.

I am think of taking classes in drawing or painting, as I have come to believe that photography is merely a mangled version of those skills.