1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

what's your opinion about Kenko filters?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by mesmerized, Jul 15, 2013.

1. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Hey there,

I'm going to get a polarizing filter and I've been recommended Hoya and B+W brands by one of the forum members here but those brands are a bit pricey and I've come accross a cheaper solution (I'd say mid-range I suppose) which is Kenko Pro1D CPL filter. What do you think about this brand?

Thanks!

2. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Filters are filters. If the Kenko filters are cheaper, I'd get them.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The Kenko Pro-1 line uses the EXACT same glass and build as the Hoya Pro1 series.... but often at a cheaper cost depending on your locale. So yes, the Kenko Pro1D CPL is a very good filter. If you were considering a Hoya at all, then the Kenko is the same thing... and we're talking about the Pro-1 lineup, which is even the better series (I don't know if any non-Pro1 Kenkos are equivalent to the Hoyas, I only know the Pro-1 series is the same).

4. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Kenko and Hoya are sister brands (along with Tokina and Slik), so Ned's assertion is likely correct.

5. mesmerized

mesmerized Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 18, 2012
    Thank you!

One more thing... what's the difference between a wide band CPL(W) and a non-wide band one? I suppose W stands for wide band.