What's Your Most Pricey Lens?

tjdean01

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Ignoring what you paid (because you could have gotten a deal or else paid MSRP on release date), what's your most expensive lens? (Meaning, what's the average going price for said lens used in good condition.)

Poll is for native lenses only but if it's an adapted lens or lens other than I mentioned, feel free to tell us about it below. I didn't add the lenses that don't seem as popular. I grouped the zooms together but not the primes.

esnift

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Dan
Ignoring what you paid (because you could have gotten a deal or else paid MSRP on release date), what's your most expensive lens? (Meaning, what's the average going price for said lens used in good condition.)

Wait I'm confused, are we supposed to vote based on what we paid, the MSRP or the current rate of the lens?

Itchybiscuit

Photon Mangler
Real Name
Ivor
A Canon SSC 50mm/f1.4.

I bought both Olympus 40-150 in a 4/3rds flavour (3.5+4.0) but they were cheaper than the Canon. The only other AF lens i have is the kit 14-42 which came bundled with my G5. I have to stick to adapted lenses due to budgetary concerns. I'm not complaining though!

If this reply isn't what you were aiming for, simply delete it. :thumbup:

Just Jim

Mu-43 Top Veteran
My kinotel 75mm 1.8 c mount. It's my baby. I got it for $125 but you couldn't pry it from my cold dead hands. Oooooh he bokeh is sooo Purdy.

M

minibokeh

Philosophical answer: The most pricey lens is the one that you didn't buy, and therefore couldn't take that priceless picture that would have changed everything.

I believe the fundamental angst to be in this situation is what motivates many folks to buy lenses "just in case" (not me, not me, ... wait - why do I have that slow 100-300? :)).

ahinesdesign

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Aaron
Most expensive in terms of real money paid was a 12-35. I've since sold it, and now my most expensive lens is a 20mm. Lens that caused me to miss a once-in-a-lifetime shot is the 15mm body cap, which was a costly mistake for such a cheap lens!

biomed

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike
I have the 12-35/2.8 and the 35-100/2.8. I traded some older film gear and received enough for both zooms. There was no sales tax because it was a trade. The price of the 35-100 dropped $100 dollars three days after I made the trade. The store owner honored the price reduction and refunded $100. I have been rather fortunate with prices of the majority of my lenses. The only lens I own that has had a price drop since I bought it is the Sigma 60/2.8. It is currently selling for $209. I paid $229 for mine.

dpaultx

Mu-43 Regular
Leica 14-50 Vario Elmar 3.8-5.6.

Paid? . . . Well . . . Not so much for it, but the effect is "priceless".

dp

nardoleo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Leo
My pricest lenses are the oly 12-40, voigt 17.5, voigt 42.5 and oly 75.
All have pretty similar resale value.

RnR

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hasse
Konica 57mm f1.2... and its by far not my most used lens... but if Metabones released a Speedbooster for the Konica mount... oh woe is me... 1st world problems of too much choice :(

Ramsey

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Basically Panny 20mm.Took a hit on taxes and import duties, foolishly. ANd the prices in EU/UK are ridicilous comparerd to USA prices.

Apart from that Oly 60mm.
Found a bargain, basically less than used USA prices (not that common in Croatia/EU).
If i end up selling it (not very likely), i'll get more than i paid for it, and then some.

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
The 14-140mm. But even that, I bought used for $350. Got my 20mm 1.7 for $250, and my 7.5mm fisheye for about the same. At this point I have many more adapted lenses than native ones, since I've been experimenting with what kind of shooting I like the most. I feel like I would love the Panasonic 35-100mm, or the 100-300mm, but both are somewhat difficult to justify at this stage, with the body that I have (GX1). At this point, I would get more performance improvement by upgrading to a newer body than a faster lens, since I'd also get focus peaking and IBIS and an EVF, all of which I would love to use with my adapted (and focal-reduced) manual lenses.

sammykhalifa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Neil
Not sure if the Oly45 Or Panasonic 20mm would go for more these days . . . either way, I guess I'm probably in the "thrifty" category. :)

broody

Mu-43 Veteran
My most expensive lens is the 25mm 1.4. I was always allured by this lens and how so many people had nothing but praise and love for it. Even so, MSRP was a tall order but I managed to get a second-hand one for a decent price. And it's definitely worth all the praise, I've gotten so many wonderful and unforgettable pictures with it. I can easily forgive it for its DSLR prime-like size.

Vesku

Mu-43 Regular
My most expensive lens is Pana 14-140 II and I am a bit angry because it could not shoot stable video handheld like my other cheaper lenses.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Going off of current MSRP, mine is the 35-100 from Panasonic, though I "only" paid $1000 for the lens (which is quite a bargain though, 33% off of the retail price).

RobWatson

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Leica Noctilux -M 50mm F1 .... technically not mine but it is in my bag for the duration!

Cost me $0 but that is not the same deal for everyone else. If anything bad happens on the hook for it!

BobbyTan

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Olympus 150f2. With the E-M1 I don't consider the 4/3 lenses adapted with the E-M1. Other than flange distance they work as well as they did or better than when they are mounted on the E-5.

That's a damn good lens! I toyed with the idea of buying one but it was hard (then) to find a used copy. And when word first got out that Olympus will be releasing a 40-150/2.8 PRO zoom I immediately abandoned all ideas about finding a used copy of this lens. I had rented one, along with a 1.4x TC. Liked it, but found it way too slow for BIF … and it's big and heavy.

I had pre-ordered the 40-150/2.8 + MC-14 and I think the combo will rock … and I can't wait to pre-order the 300/4 lens!

My most expensive lens, so far, would the Nocticron … and it is also my favorite lens, by far!

Latest threads

Top Bottom