What's Your Main Photo Processing Computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JStheoriginal, Apr 14, 2013.

1. JStheoriginal

JStheoriginal Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2013
    I use my iMac 24 incher (early 2008). I got it refurbished from Apple later that year.

Since getting it I did have to replace the power supply last year. I also upgraded the RAM to 4GB. I found it slowwww recently so I decided to swap out the hard drive for a 240GB SSD...MAN DID THAT MAKE A DIFFERENCE! Breathed new life into it!!! Zippy again.

I tried to use my MacBook Air 13 incher (2011) but find the screen just isn't good enough. The colours aren't true and blacks washed out!

What do you use?
  2. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Home built i5/750 over clocked to 3.6GHz (ASUS motherboard) 8G memory with AMD 4770 graphics and 3x WD 600GB in a raid5 array driving a Dell U2311 monitor. Works well with the array proving a performance boost over a single drive and lots of space for less than a tiny SSD.
  3. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    I use a home built Phenom II X6 3.21Ghz, dual monitors, 16GB of ram (hey- it was on sale and I like watching movies when I work :wink:), a SSD that runs applications, and 2 RAID 1 1TB drives that I keep data on (plus external back ups, and a mirror of my primary drive- just in case).
  4. twokatmew

twokatmew Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 1, 2012
    Lansing, MI, US
    Home-built i7/860, 8GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti (1GB DDR5), and an assortment of hard drives totaling 4TB. (I also have a 2TB NAS). My monitor is a 22" Dell IPS panel calibrated with Spyer3 Pro.
  5. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Tiny COTS Toshiba laptop :smile:
  6. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    Where are the Mac users at?!?
  7. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Retina mbp 15" here
  8. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    2010 MacBook Pro here.

While I agree the screens on MacBook Airs aren't the best in the Apple lineup, iMacs, MacBook Pros and their dedicated displays are excellent.

I have made a couple of upgrades myself as well. SSD and 8 GB memory when Newegg had good sales.

I got a SATA 3 SSD thinking that I would keep using it in future Macs as well. But then Apple went the PCI-E route with flash memory. Bummer.
  9. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    I've got my sata 3 ssd hooked up via SATA (2 only) in my iMac.
  10. edwardconde

edwardconde Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 8, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    iPad 3rd Gen and nothing else!
  11. foxtail1

foxtail1 Science geek & photo nut

Dec 30, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    24" iMac.

When I'm traveling, I use my MBA, but it's sub-optimal.
  12. silversx80

silversx80 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 27, 2012
    North Carolina
    Pretty much the same here, minus the SSD. I will be upgrading the HDD soon, since the 320 GB that came with it is almost full with raw files.
  13. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Toshiba Satellite with a Dell monitor, Wacom tablet, and Photoshop CS5. I don't need anything fancy for editing photos (it's non-linear that requires a hopped up processor), just a good monitor and a good tablet.
  14. PatrickVA

PatrickVA Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 31, 2012
    Central Virginia
    Four year old Lenovo Thinkpad w/Windows 7. Works well enough for Lightroom 4 for photos and Sony Movie Studio 11 for video. The only downside is the 11" screen.
  15. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I also use a 24 inch iMac from 2008. lol. It's been good, but lately it's been slow. The hard drive only has 320gb. I want to erase everything, and install everything fresh. I don't want to go through the hassle of saving my documents though. I'll have to do it one day. I also wanted to install a new hard drive, but I'm nervous. I don't think I'd do a good job.
  16. JohnF

JohnF Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2010
    Oberursel, Germany
    MSI motherboard, AMD six-core CPU@2.6GHz, 12GB Ram, GT460, 8TB internal, 12TB external. 2x23" flat screen displays, Win 8 64 bit.
  17. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    i7-2600K overclocked to 4.3GHz, 16G memory, 2xSATA III SSDs (one 128G boot, one 256G main store), monitors: 2xDell U2410s, 1x DellU2711.
  18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Up until very recently I was using a Hp DV7 and for a long while it ran fine, that is until it just got so bloated and clogged up tht no amount of cleaning got it back to the performance levels I desired. Enter the imac.

3.4Ghz i7 Quad Core (2013 custom build)
    1TB Fusion drive + 256Gb Lacie external SSD
    nVidia Ge-Force GTX 680MX 2Gb graphics card
    24Gb DDR3 1600Hz RAM

Man, this things absolutely rips through anything I throw at it, it essentially performs every Lightroom or Nik software rendering instantaneously. Couldn't be happier, although pricey I don't regret for a second the money spent, and, I'm actually REALLY liking how the machine thinks/works...never a Mac user previously it strikes as an incredibly intuitive machine to use. I am now officially a Mac convert and won't even consider a return to a windows/PC type system for the foreseeable future.
  19. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    27" iMac w/ 3.1 GHz Core i5 and 12 GB RAM
  20. JStheoriginal

Mar 9, 2013
    when i installed my SSD i was sweating for 50 minutes straight! you have to use suction cups and pull the screen right off...definitely not for the feint of heart. lol.