What's your favourite mu43 native lens to manually focus?

Trixter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Jim Leonard
It may have simply been a general dislike of how it felt and an underwhelming response to the images, rather than anything definite.

That was my feeling as well; underwhelming sharpness. I also felt it didn't have any purpose; the 12-xx zooms covered that range, as does the 7-14 and 8-18. And if you only needed it because it was a good travel pancake lens, the 20mm f/1.7 is much better image quality (IMO) with a more useful (also IMO) focal length. So yeah, the 14mm f/2.5 was the first lens I ever sold.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
@melanieylang I am curious what it was about the Panasonic 14 f/2.5 that you didn't like. I was thinking of picking one up to give it a go.
Karen

I have this lens. But I bought it for a specific purpose as it was reported to work well with infrared shooting (it does) which is what I mainly use it for on my infrared converted Olympus E-P2. I admittedly have not used it much on a "normal" camera other than when I first got it to check it out, but for my IR shooting it has been very nice. the focal length is well suited for general purpose shooting. Since I am shooting passive IR all the photos are shot in daylight so the f2.5 is perfectly fine. It is a tiny lens so doubles as a body cap lens on my E-P2. Otherwise it works fine and I imagine it is a nice lens for normal spectrum shooting. I think the only negative I noticed with this particular sample I have that it is a little tight mounting and un-mounting from the camera.

Generationfourth

Mu-43 Veteran
... I've felt the same way about the 12-32mm, which gets a lot of love on this forum.
I hated my 12-32 as well. Mine was an early version where they didn't use enough glue so it came apart. Generally speaking I loathe any lens that collapses and needs to be expanded to use. They always break on me and are annoying to use. I did take some damn good photos with it and it irks me that there are claims that it is sharper than the 12-35 2.8.

Chris999999

Mu-43 Regular
I have Manual Focus Assist permanently on. So I can use manual focus after autofocus with an enlarged focusing area. With my Panasonic Leica 100-400 it is very useful - after all the camera/lens doesn't know exactly what I want to focus on.

I do also regularly use Manual Focus on primes such as the 15mm and 42.5mm f1.7. Probably because when I started in photography lenses were manual focus, and I regularly use adapted lenses which are fully manual.

Just on the Pana14mm/12-32mm thingo.
I really like the 14mm......size, weight, price and a goldilocks focal length.....for me at least and i find it sharp enough.
Could never warm to the 12-32, particularly because of the need to zoom it to get it to work.
But favorite lens to manual focus? I don't do it much but the PL25 has a lovely, wide, buttery focus ring that makes it pleasure to use.

Last edited:

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
I thought the Oly 45 was quite nice manually focusing actually, with the camera set to wide open and its lovely small size. Mind you I did that without focus peaking.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom