What's your favorite adopted lenses on the EM-10?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by HaViet, Feb 22, 2015.

1. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    So, we'll be going to San Diego this summer and I would love to have an Oly 17mm 1.8, but sadly I wouldn't have the budget for it.

What do you recommend as an alternative version of the 17mm f1.8 in the adopted world?

Thanks much!

2. LDraper

LDraper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 4, 2011
    Albuquerque, NM
    It's hard to find an older lens shorter than 24mm, so I don't think there's an economical adapted route to cover the 17 1.8. There is the 17 2.8, which always invites a flurry of invective - but I think it's a worthy choice if you know it's limitations. You can also look at the Panny 14 or the Panny 20, both of which are excellent lenses that come close to the same FOV as the 17mm.

You might want to indicate what type of photos you're thinking about. I hope is helps.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks. I had the 17mm f2.8 and wasn't too fond of it and sold it.

I will be mostly taking family vacation photos, so I think would appreciate that FOV. Also, I tend to take lots of indoor photos so the f1.8 would be nice.

I also have a Sigma 60mm for a bit longer reach.

4. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Get a Sigma 19mm. Nothing adapted will be what you want, and anything ultrawide you do find will be worse in performance adapted than the 17mm f2.8.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    I am not sure the Sigma 19mm with an f2.8 would be what I really wanted. I do tend to shoot indoors a lot, so probably want something a little faster.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    As has been mentioned already, older lenses that are shorter than 24mm are harder to come by, and I have to stress that you usually cannot use adapted lenses wide open at large apertures without sacrificing a lot of image quality. Reason I recommend the Sigma is that you're not realistically going to be able to use an adapted lens at a larger aperture than f2.8 and get decent sharpness, and the Sigma will beat anything you can adapt at f2.8.

You're asking for something only a native lens in this system can provide.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Mu-43 mobile app

7. MoonMind

MoonMind Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Short, bright, cheap - that's a tough call indeed. Most cheap-ish wide-angle lenses are f/2.8 or f/3.5 - especially older ones. Even if you find something in that ballpark for little money, it's by no means certain it'll deliver; those older lenses that do fetch higher prices.

That's why I'd concur with the recommendation of the Sigma 19mm f/2.8 or the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 - both good lenses for the asking price. If you have a little more money to spend, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 would check all the boxes, perhaps safe for the one that says "lightning fast AF". Actually, that's the lens I'd choose (version 1 will do nicely!), but at least around here, it's a little more expensive than the Sigma and the 14mm.

Besides, the E-M10 has good I.B.I.S. and gives you usable results up to ISO 1600 - don't worry too much about lens brightness if the budget's tight (and it has to be, seeing as the 17mm f/1.8 isn't one of the most expensive lenses in the mFT world).

M.

8. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    Thanks all for the feedback.

I will try to keep my eyes on a used Panny 20mm f1.7 or Oly 17mm f1.8

• Like Like x 1
  9. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    As others have pointed out, you're simply not going to find any legacy glass to adapt that is going to have the same combination of wide & fast as the Oly 17/1.8 -- such a beast simply doesn't exist (at least not at the price point). That leaves us with native lenses, the options of which have been presented. My personal first choice would be the Panny 20, which is a lens I continue to LOVE, although I haven't compared it to the Oly/1.8.

One thing to consider is that since you'll be in southern California in the summer, it's likely to be sunny, so perhaps you could get away with the 17/2.8? Another option to consider would be to rent. You can rent an Oly 17/1.8 for a week for under $50.

My inner cheapskate makes it difficult for me to understand the value proposition of renting, though, so what I would suggest is this: buy a used copy, use it for your trip (or as long as you need) and then re-sell it when you're done. In most cases you should be able to do this at a "cost" (i.e. the difference between your buy and sell price plus the transaction costs) that is less than renting -- it's conceivable that you could actually break even. This presumes, though, that you have some way to float that investment (on a credit card or whatnot) for the duration of the transaction.

The final (and perhaps best) option I would present would be to just use the lenses you have? What do you currently have in your camera bag?

10. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    I really like the Vivitar (Komine) 28mm f2.8 close focus on a Roxen focal reducer.
    You end up with about a 20mm focal range. Gain a stop of shutter speed.
    Have nice sharp close focusing.
    Quite a nice lens for zone focussing too.
    the thing is that it is quite a heavy combination compared with native lens options so
    might not be suitable.
    I'm just sharing what I enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  11. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    dweller: You just gave me an idea - I have a focal reducer, and that old but nice Sigma 24mm 2.8 Macro(!) is lurking around here somewhere ... Now, where to start diggin' ... we'll see.

Thanks! :)

M.

• Like Like x 1
  12. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    Not sure how well the reducer will work on the 24mm but worth a try if you already have them both.

13. MoonMind

Oct 25, 2014
    Switzerland
    Matt
    Well, if the reducer won't work, I could still try the adapter, but the real thing would be the reducer - 34mm 2.0 Macro?! That'd be very nice indeed ... That said, I have a working, but hulking, super-macro solution: Nikon 105mm f/2.8 Micro (AF-D) on the adapter or reducer - crazy, and so front-heavy it ain't pure fun, but worth a mad grin and certainly a try ... Though not something I'd like (or attempt) to carry anywhere ...

Back on topic: I think the idea of getting a used 20mm or 17mm (f/1.8 if at all possible - it's way better than the f/2.8 in all respects) is sensible.

M.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Reducers go wider, not longer, right?

Barry

15. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California