1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's Your Favorite Adapted Focal Length?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by tjdean01, Aug 31, 2013.

1. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    This poll is being redone by request. In the first one people ignored that I was talking in 35mm equivalents and I'm not allowed to edit my polls. This time, we're talking about the actual focal length that's written on the lens.

(I'm not going to mention any thing wider than 20mm because if you check the Adapted Lens Archive, you'll see that most people are using native glass for wide situations.)

So, if you must chose an adapted prime, what focal length, as is written in milometers on the lens, is your approximate favorite?

Note that I'm not talking about what your favorite lens is, I'm talking about what focal length you enjoy using and think is most useful among existing adapted lenses (for example I'm sure the 75/1.8 is many people's favorite lens, but 75mm is not useful for many people so their favorite FL would be, say, 17, 25, 45, etc). Also note that if your favorite focal length is 29mm, you vote whatever is closest, which would be 28mm.

Okay, I think I covered all the problems that we ran into last time. Hopefully this time it will be helpful to buyers to see what the majority prefers. Limited to one vote per person this time!

2. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    500mm; even when I'm shooting wide angle and telephoto landscapes with my native glass, it's almost always mounted on it's own tripod and ready for duty.

3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I was torn between 50 and 135, but in the end voted for 135. This probably goes back to my film shooting days when those were my go-to focal lengths.

4. Andym72

Andym72 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 4, 2013
    Reading, UK
    85mm. Most adapted lenses are for 35mm film cameras, so getting anything less than 20mm is near impossible. So they are better for the long end. Most 85mm lenses I've seen are not too long to use handheld, and with a nice fast max aperture (f/1.8,f/2 usually).

Cheaper than the 75mm too :)

5. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    My Nikkor 85mm f/1:1.4

6. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I like this post because it makes me feel not weird anymore. You see, I have a few 50mm lenses and I really enjoy using them all. I have a 28mm and while it's not the greatest lens, I like the FL so much I'm going to replace it with a better lens. But, guess what? For some reason I don't like 35mm or 40mm as much. Weird, right? Although, based on the above, you'd think those would be perfect for me. Hmph!

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

100mm F2.8 soon to be replaced by 90mm F2.5 (mostly due to macro abilities and sentimental reasons).

8. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I'm liking my 28mm very well!