1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's your favorite 50 something.

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mnhoj, May 2, 2012.

1. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    I want to add a 5Xmm 1.4-2.0 lens. Something just a little longer than the standard 50mm. I think I have it narrowed down to the Konica Hexanon 57mm 1.4, the Super Takumar 55mm 1.8, and the Helios 44 58mm f2.

Just wondering if anyone could share their thoughts and recommendations. I'd like to keep it longer than 50mm but if there's one that stands out I'd like to hear about it as well.

Thanks.

2. Laurentiu Cristofor

Laurentiu Cristofor Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    The Voigtlander Nokton 58/1.4 is an excellent all around lens. I like the Helios very much as well. The Takumars are very good too, although I didn't get to use them on MFT yet. There are plenty of choices, to be sure.

3. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    If money was no object, then the 58 1.2 Noct Nikkor.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    If money IS an object...Super Takumar 50/1.4 followed by the Helios 44M

5. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    I love my Leica R 2.0/50mm which is excellent. I have bought mine in mint condition for a rather low price, this lens is not as expensive as its name might suggest.

6. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    Actually my FAVORITE 50 something is my lovely wife. Better than anything Leica ever made.

• Like Like x 11
  7. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I have a 50mm f1.4 and 58mm f1.4, both Minolta. I love the 58mm the most.

8. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    Favourite 50, eh ?

Um, Joan Cusack and Eddie Izzard ?

Otherwise its a toss up between the OM Zuiko f1.8 50, the Zuiko Macro f3.5 50 or the Nikon AI 50mm - mainly because, image quality aside, they're lovely chunks of glass and metal.

9. KS11

KS11 Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 31, 2011
    Busan/Hong Kong
    Smc takumar 55mm 1.8 hands down. My first legacy lens on my epl1 and I was drawn back to analog photography.

Bokehmon!

10. LVL8hacker

LVL8hacker Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 4, 2012
    Pinehurst, North Carolina
    Larry Anderson
    I love my Canon FL 55mm f1.2

11. Declan97

Declan97 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 3, 2012
    Padang, Indonesia
    i enjoyed what zuiko OM 50/1.4&1.8 delivered the result

• Like Like x 1
  12. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    Pre-War Carl Zeiss Jena 5cm F1.5 is the favorite.

• Like Like x 1
  13. RSilva

RSilva Mu-43 Regular

Oct 24, 2011
    Portugal
    Takumar 1.4/50 is my favorite lens, but the Takumar 1.8/55 comes close

14. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    My three favorites are the Zuiko 50mm/1.4, Konica Hexanon 50mm/1.4, and KMZ (same manufacturer for the Helios you're considering) Jupiter-3 50mm/1.5. I have boight and sold a lot of 50mm lenses but those 3 I can never get rid of.

Out of the lenses you're thinking of I would go for the Konica Hexanon 57mm/1.4. The Russian lenses are awesome little gems but not up to standards for general photography. I use them for more specialized purposes. The Super-Taks are awesome but not Hexanon awesome. The Hexanon lenses on the other hand are some of the sharpest made for 35mm film. They're not far off the fabulous Zuiko Digital line.

You also have to consider an OM Zuiko though. For richness and color they can't be beat!

• Like Like x 1
  15. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks everyone!

So many good choices it does make for a hard decision. I am on a budget so the noct is definitely out of the question. I wouldn't mind the CV 58 either but again more than I want to spend.

Ned - I'm drawn to the KH 57mm 1.4 for it's length and speed and it's nice to know it's a great performer. It's probably in the front of the race right now.

For the rest, I'm going to spend some free time on google. The adapted 50mm length is one of my favorites - maybe I'll have to try out a few. :smile:

Thanks again all.

16. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I recently acquired this lens and although I haven't had much time to play with it, my initial reactions are positive.

One thing you should note is that it's quite heavy (280g according to buhla.de). It definitely makes my E-PL1 feel front-heavy. This would probably not be so pronounced on your GH2.

Obviously any fast lens is going to be heavier than a slower lens (the KH 57/1.2 clocks in at 480g), so this comes with the territory, but I just wanted to make sure that you were aware.

17. mnhoj

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Thanks. I had assumed all the choices would be fairly lightweight. I'll take that into consideration.

18. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you want lightweight, go with the old Russian lenses! Better than the Helios brand you were thinking of though, are the Jupiter lenses. They are made for rangefinders instead of SLRs, and are very small. That is why I take my Jupiter-3 all the time with me, because it fits my ultra-compact one-lens Mini kit. It's very tiny...

Industar lenses are also very cool, but my personal preference is the Jupiter line in M39 Leica mount.

19. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    The only legacy lens I use is the 57mm Konica. Even on an E-P3 it feels good. On a GF3 it's OK but not ideal.

And I think it's surprisingly sharp at f1.4. I love it. Focusing is nice too. The front element is big though so I bought a step down filter ring to go on the front to block excess light. Looks a bit funny but it seems to help.

20. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I don't want to give you the impression that the 57/1.4 is unusable on the E-PL1, just that its mass is noticeable and it may effect how you hold the camera. Obviously, your experience may vary. I just wanted to share my initial impression of the lens.