1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's your E-PL2 settings

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by ronbot, Mar 12, 2011.

1. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Just got the E-PL2 and loving it.

I have the right scroll wheel as WB, down scroll wheel as ISO. The Fn button is used as the Home and the rec button as is. With this, I find I can quickly change needed parameters without taking my eye out of the VF-2. How did you map your buttons/dial.

As before on my E-PL1, NR is off and noise filter is low. I'm also using iEnhance at low effect. I like the resulting images with these. Does shadow compensation actually help?

attachment.php?attachmentid=3491&stc=1&d=1299922594.

Is it me or is the design very Mac-like? Either way, I quite like how it looks.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. fotomatix

fotomatix Mu-43 Regular

Mar 13, 2011
    Canada
    Thanks for sharing ronbot.
    I'm still learning to navigate around. It took me a little while but I finally set my NR off and noise filter to Low as you have. I can't recall where exactly but another site recommended the same.

I wonder if anyone can suggest what IS (image stabilization) setting to choose? 1, 2, 3? What is the difference between these settings? Different selections for certain situations?

I think the design is classic with a certain elegance. You look like you're holding a real photo camera. It also feels and grips like a real camera in your hands. This was one thing I did not enjoy about the Sony NEX-5.
    2 other main reasons I went with this camera is the integrated flash and mode dial selector as part of the hardware. Again, NEX failed for me here.

Thanks.

3. craig1912

craig1912 Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 7, 2011
    Still gettong to grips with mine-looking forward to hints and tips here.

4. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Mode 1 stabilizes both axis' (up-down and left-right). Mode 2 is for side to side panning, for example when you have your camera normally level and you follow a car driving by and you take photos of it while panning. Mode 3 is for up-down panning when your camera is level. I think you should use mode 3 if you have your camera in portrait position while panning side to side.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Do we need to specify the focal length when selecting IS1?

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Not with lenses that support the electrical contacts (m4/3 or adapted 4/3 lenses). With others you have to do it, but the camera remembers the last used setting, so if you use native lens and then put back manual lens it will use the last focal length setting that has been used before the native lens. When you set the focal length for manual lens (usually film era lens), you don't have to worry about any equivalents or crop factor and stuff like that, just set the millimeters of the lens. If the exact focal length isn't available in the menu then you should put the closest one matching the lense's focal length.

7. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    What is the advantage of setting NR off and noise filter off/low? I still use the default settings except for iEnchance which I set to "low". I also would like to know about "shadow comp." which I haven't even tried yet.

8. ronbot

ronbot Mu-43 Regular

Apr 27, 2010
    Regarding NR on page 76 of the E-PL1 manual:
    -When active, noise reduction approximately doubles shooting times.
    -Noise reduction turns off automatically during sequential shooting.
    -This function may not work effectively with some shooting conditions or subjects.

Doesn't sound like it provides much benefit at all, so most users simply turn it off.

As for noise filter, I'll just repeat what Dpreview has written on their review of the E-PL1:

Turning noise filter 'off' doesn't appear to quite turn noise reduction off altogether (there's so little chroma noise, you have to assume it's being removed), but leaves lots of detail. This removal of chroma (color) noise means that the relatively subtle 'Low' noise filter option, that leaves a little bit of luminance noise strikes what we think is the best balance between noise suppression and detail retention. The default 'Normal' setting is also pretty good at this balance until very high ISOs, whereas we think the 'High' setting is a bit too aggressive.

So, setting it to 'low' or turning it off entirely yields optimal results as the jpeg engine is quite good. I've done some simple tests (same scene and exposure settings but in different NR/noise filter settings) myself a while back with my E-PL1, and basically found a bit of noise is better than a smeared or smudged photo. The same can be said about the E-PL2.

After some digging around, 'shading comp.' is supposed to help reduce vignetting (darkening of the edges). If you like the pin hole effect (art filter #4) but less severe, then leave it off.

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Then I guess I should turn Shading Comp. on as I definately don't like vignetting as long as it doesn't reduce IQ.

10. parkway233

parkway233 New to Mu-43

May 30, 2012
    Ronbot, There seems to be quite a bit of discussion over the past year concerning image quality, especially sharpness, when it comes to the E-PL1 and the E-PL2. There seem to be some that feel the E-PL1 is sharper due to the lower AA filter. Do you find that your images on the E-PL2 with the noise filter off are just as sharp as what you got with your E-PL1? Or am I comparing apples to oranges.

11. M4/3

M4/3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Although I don't own an E-PL2, I do own a E-M5 which, like the E-PL2 and later Pens, can't seem to resolve as much detail as an E-PL1 even when the noise filter is shut off. So I would advise getting an E-PL1 if image brightness, sharpness and detail is a top priority. Below you can see the added brightness and clarity of an E-PL1 image:
    Photos lifted from Olympus PEN E-PL2 Compact System Camera - Review
    pl1-2.