What's your 2015 photo project

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by aaronlongphoto, Jan 1, 2015.

1. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    For the last couple years I have attempted to do a 365 project but have not stuck with it due to life/work schedule. This year however I plan on doing a 52 week project instead of a 365 day project. For Christmas I picked up a Canon Pixma pro-10 printer from my work because they were offering a crazy good deal on it and I enjoy printing my own work versus just posting it online. So over the next year I will be shooting as much as I can through out the week attempting to get at least 1 photo worth printing as a 8x10 or bigger, then every Sunday making a print and framing it. So my goal for this time next year is to have a years worth of photos and 52 framed images.

So I'm curious, do you all have any projects that are being planned? I would love to hear what else people are doing. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 5
  2. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Considering a 365 days or 52 week thing. I've done 365 self portraits, but it's quite time consuming for me, heh. Not sure it accomplished what I thought it would, heh. I think something weekly will fit me better and I'll shoot for that this year.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Andrius

Andrius Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 29, 2014
    Lithuania
    I've started doing the 365 one today, actually :)
    Sadly, the weather was ****e so I had to suffice with a pretty boring picture + some editing.
    Not sure how much motivation I've got to keep going but I'll try to do more despite being full-time employed (totally not photography) and despite the days being VERY short - sun rises 8:40, sets down at ~16:00. Not sure how I'll manage making outdoor photos for a while.
    Here's my flickr for the project - https://www.flickr.com/photos/101213625@N02/sets/72157650058748705/
    I'd like to see the albums/websites from other people so I can at least look at other photos and get some motivation (hopefully no demotivation) from there :)

If I fail at that, I was thinking of starting the 52 week project but I'll probably feel pretty bad and will have to wait till next year, heh...

• Like Like x 1
  4. tortau

tortau Mu-43 Regular

Aug 17, 2014
    Waterloo, Canada
    In 2013, my friends and I did a 365 days photo challenge. By about day 150, two of us were out and over half the photos taken were objects in the house. In short, we were taking random photos just to fulfill the obligations of posting a photo from that day.

Then around mid 2014, I decided to resurrect the idea again but doing a weekly photo theme (i.e. 52 weeks challenge). We made it a little different by going through the alphabets for the weekly themes. So, week 1 would be "A" and we would take turns to be responsible for the theme, e.g. "Animals" or "Architecture". It used to be one theme per week but as time passed, we changed the rules to suggest two themes and you as the photographer can decide which one to pick. We're all casual photographers in 3 different countries with full time jobs and well, it was a way to keep track of the "so, what is going on in your life today?".

This challenge worked out very well - far better than the 365 days one. The themes help to keep things in focus but open to your own interpretation. We are still doing it (some slackers - posted late but shot within the time frame), now at "U" for this week and we hope to eventually arrive at "Z" very soon. I used to blog but no longer have time and it really bothered me. Now, with this weekly posting, I'm starting to write again just to explain why I found each photo special or what I did this week to complement the photos.

So my advice:
    - start slow - 52 weeks is better, just take more photos.
    - try to find some companions to do this with. It keeps you motivated!
    - picking themes is a great idea too because it keeps you looking for someone interesting to photograph.

• Like Like x 3
  5. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    HA! Just posted mine this morning. One camera, one lens, one year. I will be making one print per week from the project.

• Like Like x 2
  6. aaronlongphoto

aaronlongphoto Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2013
    Louisville KY
    Aaron Long
    I saw your post as I logged on to make mine haha. Good luck to you and I hope nothing but good comes from your project as well as anyone else who is setting out on a project of their own!

• Like Like x 1
  7. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    My 2015 project will be to learn how to use a bloody flash. I can't for my life get anything worth keeping atm.
    Oh, and I will work getting better at handholding at "normal" speeds. I can hardly get a sharp shot at 1/125 :rolleyes:

Basic stuff, but necessary

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    My blog has become my ultimate motivation, especially now that the blog is listed in the National Library of Australia electronic archives. :eek: I have no set rules as to how much I post, but I make sure that I do so fairly regularly.

9. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    This seems a good project to me. I spent a lot of time trying to get the hang of flash. Quite a lot, trying something, finding the results horrible and then giving up. Once you do get the hang of it, it certainly brings a whole new dimension to your photography.

Here is a lecture, I found most useful in learning flash to begin with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMiYgxVTS_0

• Like Like x 2
  10. robbie36

robbie36 Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2010
    Bangkok
    rob collins
    I have a very unambitious New Year project. It is simply to take a camera with me wherever I go. I found that last year I missed several good opportunities for shots by simply not having my camera with me.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Now it's posted so I gotta do it.

January in Detroit is no time of year to start a new photo project (well, not if you're allergic to inclement weather like I am). I have done cold weather shooting in previous years but I'm old now and don't have to do anything I don't want to do.

(Unless ordered by the Princess of the Exchequer, of course).

That being said - my 2015 project will be a print-a-week. I have plenty of RAW material <g> and a Canon Pro-100 and recently printed another photographer's work and enjoyed it immensely. And it's weather neutral.

Where I'm going to put 52 new prints I don't have a clue...

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  12. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I think I might enjoy a print a week myself. I have a nice Canon Pro-100 as well, so I might as well make good use of it. I'll have to decide what size to print. I'd love to print fairly large, but I don't have any idea where I'd put 52 8x10s, much less anything larger.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    i've actually been thinking about a photo project last week.

365 or even 52 is too amobitious for me. And as tortau said, i think it will become a "fill the quota" thing.

So, i decided to get better in fields i find interesting. Find a topic/field/photo i like, and try to get better at that kind of thing. For instance, i found out (on this forum) about this amazing portrait photographer (Jane Bown). I looked at the portraits she made, and i realized i really like the low key portraiture, such as this one
    Bown,_Welles.

So i'm gonna try to get better at this for one month. Which reminds me, i have to find out how to do it :)

Next month, next thing i like and would like to get better at. B&W street, HDR, Brenitzer, etc...

14. khughes44

khughes44 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2014
    Langley BC
    Kevin Hughes
    Bown was a great example of how to keep it simple. She used Olympus OM cameras and I think she only had 2 lenses, a normal and an 85 or something. But she said she shot most of her portraits at f2.8 and 1/60. I take that to mean that she would rather move her subject around in available light than change her camera settings. Maybe that's a project for another time. I'd love to try it.

Filling the quota isn't a good thing. If you find yourself going through the motions the project is probably not right for you.

15. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    My thoughts exactly, once you have to start filling quotas, it quickly becomes a chore, rather than a pleasure. You start taking photos because you feel obligated, not because you want to take photos.

16. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    And...Yes!!! I followed through on week one and made a 13x19" print.

It's from Christmas 2008 and I've been planning on printing it since...well, 2008.

Currently temporarily placed on a dining room wall until I decide if I want to reprint with a different emphasis on the highlights - but the Project is off to a flying start :biggrin:.

(Procrastination is a specialty with me, this really is a Big Deal. We'll have to wait a week to see if I can maintain the momentum).

Hope everyone who decided on a Project has gotten off to a good start!

Regards,

Jim

18. TassieFig

TassieFig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Tasmania, Australia
    Yep, I've already got about 40 blurry pictures, and a few sharpish, of the same cloth peg outside my window. Successfully handholding the 75-300 @300 will take a lot of practice...

19. Fmrvette

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Yeow! I cheat with long lenses when I can't use a tripod:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002NZH40O/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can (and have) braced against walls, fences, cars, etc., and have used a looped string through the tripod screw insert (one end attached to camera base, loop goes around your foot, holding the string taut) - but even with IBIS I need support with long lenses.

Post a shot when you get it nailed, be fun to see.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 1
  20. gingergirl

gingergirl Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2014
    I'm doing the 52 week challenge. I don't like the cold (Canadian) and my camera usually does not see the light of day during the winter so this will get me out shooting. The second reason I am doing this is to improve my editing skills. I get more excited to edit when I have freshly shot photos. I have a few courses that i plan on working through so each week I want to shoot and edit to the best of my abilities and see where it takes me.