1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

what's wrong with my Panny 14-42 x ?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by tlovegrove, Jun 14, 2014.

1. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    I'm wondering if I could get some guesses from you about a potential problem with my Panasonic 14-42 X lens. Using a GX7 (on which my other lenses work great), I seem to get some really poor pictures from the lens, especially with some blurring / hazing / fringing. Some pictures seem pretty sharp / contrasty, while others are bad. Admittedly, there may be some user error involved here (all of the pictures below were taken by someone else borrowing the camera), but the problems seem to go beyond what the basic focusing and exposure issues you might expect from a novice photographer. I'm thinking there may well be a lens issue. Any thoughts?

These pictures were all taken by the same person at the same time:

2014-06-14-picnic-23 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

2014-06-14-picnic-18 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

[​IMG]2014-06-14-picnic-9 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

2014-06-14-picnic-6 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

2014-06-14-picnic-2 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

[​IMG]2014-06-14-picnic-1 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

2. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi,

From what I can see, the main problem to me is that the point of focus doesn't seem to be on the primary subjects.

I don't really much fringing though (maybe a little); can you post larger crops of the problem areas?

Barry

3. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    So, for example, in this photo there seems to be a general "haze" over everything - i.e., the contrast seems unusually very low:

sample1 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

Same thing here. Even if this isn't focused as well as it could be, the contrast is still very low (this isn't a corner crop - it's near the center of the frame):

sample3 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

I know it's a kit lens basically, (though a $350 one), but I don't ever remember my other kit lenses performing this poorly:

sample4 by Tim Lovegrove, on Flickr

4. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Australia
    U gotta shoot with the light (sun) not against it. If your background is brighter than your subjects, you'll get those whiteish photos

5. poopstick

poopstick Mu-43 Regular

Aug 9, 2013
    Burlington Ontario
    You say someone else took these shots. Why don't you test the lens yourself?
    It looks like user error to me.
    Also; on your flickr, there are a bunch of shots taken with this lens, and they look great. I guess I just don't understand your situation here.

6. ex machina

ex machina Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 3, 2014
    Northern Virgnia
    Did your friend use the lens hood? Seems like some harsh lighting conditions and some of these pics looks a bit like slight flaring to me.

The lens may not be as sharp as a prime but is capable of some really great shots, which you can see in the lens sample image archive: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=48667

7. listers_nz

listers_nz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 22, 2013
    Christchurch, New Zealand
    Simon
    Do you have a filter on the lens, if so try some shots without (IIRC someone had similar issues with a different lens that went away when they removed the filter)

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Are they JPEGs, and what were the in camera settings. My experience with the lens was that it wasn't great with shooting into the light, but it looks like the contrast was dialed down in a lot of those shots. Since you say your friend was a novice, did you put the camera on easy mode? I'm not real familiar with the auto settings (iResolution, iAuto) or what they actually do, but maybe that had something to do with it, especially if these are JPEGs.

• Like Like x 1
  9. YZYgold

YZYgold Mu-43 Regular

Apr 19, 2013
    Australia
    all lenses/cameras will have low contrast when you shoot into the light. People post process to bring it back up.

10. tlovegrove

tlovegrove Mu-43 Regular

Mar 3, 2014
    Southern California
    Tim
    Thank you for trying to be helpful. :) I had stuck it in iAuto mode before I gave it to them, and it was shooting highest resolution / quality jpegs.
    So I do think that had something to do with the problem, since I usually shoot in RAW + P mode (or whatever I need). I'm a little disappointed in iAuto if that's the case.

11. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I know there are iAuto settings in the menu (or maybe I'm thinking of iResolution). I used iAuto once on my GX1 and it worked great... that once, but I hesitate to comment on how good it may or may not be since I don't really know what it does or what the different settings do. But unless your RAW files have the same issues, I would guess it was JPEG settings in the camera.