1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

What's wrong with my G2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Roger, Apr 19, 2013.

1. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    What’s wrong with my G2? Recently something started happening that is not good. I mounted the camera on a tripod to take some portraits. I was using the built in flash on the G2 to trip 3 slaves. The camera quit letting me take any pictures and I couldn’t focus, either automatically or manually. If I took it off the tripod it would work. And if I used a legacy lens it worked on the tripod. With native lens, both kit and Sigma, it would not work on the tripod. Something must be shorting out. I really like the G2 and hate to think it may be wearing out. The activation numbers are now in the 116,000’s so I have used it quite a bit (over 16,000 pics to my thinking).
    Anyone ever have this happen or have any thoughts?

2. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I hope it's not dying. I would look at the focus settings in the Custom menu. Try turning off Pre-AF, Direct Focus area, and Focus Priority. See if that helps.

3. Roger

Roger Mu-43 Regular

Jul 2, 2011
    Western PA
    Dan,
    Thanks for the tip. It worked. I turned off those focus setting, put the camera on the tripod, and it worked fine. I still don’t see how having the camera mounted on a tripod or not should have effected its functions. Never the less, thank you for your help. The camera works and I’m happy.
    Roger
    (Looks like we’re almost neighbors. I’m from Mercer County, PA.)

4. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
    I'm happy that you were able to solve the problem. G2 guys have to help each other as there are fewer and fewer of us. I am lusting for a G5, but, would keep the G2. I like it too much.

You would think that those settings shouldn't matter using a tripod, but, it seems they do. Direct Focus Area is the least likely culprit; it lets you move the focus area around using the directional arrows. Helpful if using face recognition, but, not necessary and gets into the way of changing the regular arrow settings on the fly. Your problem was probably caused by Focus Priority. With a native auto-focus lens, Focus Priority on, and the subject out of focus - the shutter won't fire. This, of course does not apply to an adapted lens.

From the G2 manual and my own observations: Q-AF focuses when the camera is steady (like on a tripod). The focus motor starts and keeps moving as it tries to find something to focus on. If it finds something to focus on then the item is either missing or more likely moved, focus priority prevents the shutter from firing. C-AF keeps the camera "almost" focused all time. If you lock onto the almost-focused, focus priority kicks in again. You can play with combining those settings until you find something you like or works. Oh, Q-AF and C-AF are batery drainers. I prefer to keep them off. Also, I like to think I know what I want better than the camera.

Almost neighbors, but, distant. I am located almost halfway between Cleveland and Akron.