What's worth keeping?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by AlanP, Nov 8, 2013.

1. AlanP

AlanP New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2013
    Total newbie to using adapted lenses on my Samsung NX1000 but have acquired a few that I am thinking about and would welcome comments and advice please.

The lenses, all Olympus OM mount are:

A) Sun 28mm - 2.5 - 55mm diameter

B) Zuiko 28mm - 2.8

C) Zuiko 50mm - 1.8 - 49mm diameter (with a Photax 1A filter that I can't remove)

D) Sigma 28-70mm - 3.5/4.5 - 52mm diameter

E) Vivitar 75-205mm - 3.8 - 62mm diameter (with a Hoya UV(0) filter that I can't remove)

F) Matched Vivitar 2x multiplier for above

G) Samigon 80-205mm - 4.5 - 52mm diameter (with a Haze UV filter)

H) Panagor 2x TeleConvertor

I've ordered a couple of cheap NX-OM convertors off Ebay that should be here next week.

As well as thoughts on the lenses and multipliers I had a couple of general questions:

How can I free up the stuck filters?

What is better - in general terms - a 52mm diameter or a 62mm diameter lens of a similar spec (or any two different diameters).

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    If you do NOT want the filters. ...unscrew them by leaning on a car tire. Don't ask, it works pretty darn good. If not it's STUUUUUUCK. ...or if you want, some liquid wrench (ill advised, also don't ask) and a car tire.
  3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    The Zuikos are crap, send them to me. I'll pay shipping.
  4. AlanP

AlanP New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2013
    International so if you send me $500 to cover it you've got a deal :smile:
  5. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Damn devaluation of the dollar...
  6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You only need one adapter unless you already know you want to use more than one of these lenses at once. I would say just try out each one and you will soon see which to keep. I'd keep the two Zuikos as although they aren't worth much, they are OK. The zooms are just your typical old zooms and hardly worth what it costs to ship them.

I've got lots of big pliers and a vise. Never had a problem taking off a filter as long as I didn't plan to re-use it. Wrap the sensirive surface with suitable padding before clamping down.
  7. barbosas

barbosas Mu-43 Veteran

May 7, 2013
    Keep the two Zuikos and investigate a bit further if the long zooms are worth it for long teles, dump the rest of the lenses.

I personally don't like 2x adapters so I would dump those too.
  8. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    +1 for keeping the Zuiko primes. The rest would probably be not...very good.
  9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    I agree. The two Zuiko primes are good, and if you can get that filter off the 50mm could make some nice portraits.

Try out the zooms and see if they produce good pictures. The Vivitar will probably be better than the Samigon, but you never know. But if you have a modern autofocus telephoto zoom in the same range it will likely be much better.
  10. AlanP

AlanP New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2013

I have an NX 50-200 zoom so as you say the other zooms may be redundant. Once my adaptor order arrives I can try them out.