What's with all the noise on my E-P3?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Ddeveryday, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Ddeveryday

Ddeveryday Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2013
    The P5 should be coming out soon and the price of the P3 is finally dropping. I thought it's good time to buy this as a second body. I just purchased this on ebay. My friend told me i could test to see if the camera is dying by putting a white paper on the lens. If it shows white spots, that means the camera is dying.

This is what I get when I put on the lens cap. Does anyone else have this when they put on the lens cap? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

2. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Your friend is misinformed. Perhaps he means that you can find hot pixels that way, but even then, that's a pretty roundabout way of doing things. Unless you have a large patch of stuck pixels (which would be visible in normal images), running pixel mapping will take care of hot pixels painlessly in any case.

That's perfectly normal. There's no light for the camera to record, so it's recording (and displaying) only noise.
  3. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Absolutely normal. My E-P3 does the same if the lens cap is on. Just remember to take the cap off before taking pictures :wink: