1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's with all the firesales?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by briloop, Nov 26, 2013.

1. briloop

briloop Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Mount Juliet, TN
    There seems to be a firesale going on with OM-D E-M5 camera bodies. Since I tried to sell my OM-D E-M5 kit, I've noticed bodies for sale for as little as $500 on Ebay. I even found a body with the 12-50 lens selling for $500. Has the camera lost that much value? If that's the case, I think I'm going to hold on to the camera as a backup body.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Typical for consumer electronic...

Sent from mobile.... excuse my typos

3. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    OMD E-M1. New model always makes previous ones drop in price.

4. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I've noticed the whole market for cameras and lenses is poor for sellers right now. I usually price my stuff about the same way, always lower than the average sale price because I like to sell fast. Lately I had to sell unusually low on a Leica M9, and some of my rangefinder lenses which are priced well below the recent going rate are just not getting any interest. On the flip side, as I buyer, I see unexpectedly low used prices on E-P5 (really surprising since so few are being sold), E-M5, X-E1, and even X100S (surprising since just a couple months ago prices were so much higher and stock still isn't great for that camera). Nikon D600 and Canon 6D used prices are also very soft right now.

I'm wondering if it isn't just people saving their money for upcoming holiday expenses. Either way, this isn't an E-M5 specific issue. It is a great time to buy a used E-M5 though! I just picked one up myself. The deal I got made me feel better about paying the "early adopter tax" for the E-M1 and GX7.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Lots of very good deals on new/refurb cameras. It is hard to consider a used em5 body for $500 when a refurb one with the 12-50 goes for 300 more and has a warranty.

6. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
  7. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the slowdown in the used market started in the summer. It's one reason I have resisted churning gear and have been renting lenses I am on the fence about. It used to be you could buy, hold for 6 months or more, and sell at little loss. In some cases, even make a few bucks or at least break even. Prices are dropping quicker. I think it has to do with the softening market, but also the manufacturers competing more strongly with each other. More options. Better options. "It's a golden time to be a photographer" is what many have said -- meaning great camera options. But that also means that last gen stuff loses value more quickly.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Bad for sellers, great for buyers. When the E-P5 hits $500 I'm all over it! :biggrin:

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Not really, because the 12-50 is worth less than $200 nowadays.

10. Rich M

Rich M Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2010
    Gear overload. Lots of capable cameras cameras on the market without lots of differentiation, when it comes down to it. I believe that there are the same number (or probably less) buyers in an over saturated market. Successful marketing of new models, now done by camera reviewers or review sites, as opposed to advertising, will erode the used market……since any new model HAS to be better than the older model.

Quite frankly, camera photographers are a dying breed. Both of my adult children are good photographers (takers of pictures), but completely eschew gear. For them, it is a phone camera all the way.

I am part of the problem too……always enamored by the potential next best thing…….and really not just going out on concentrating on taking pictures.

Sounds like a New Years resolution in the making :wink:

• Like Like x 3
  11. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I don't know the reason . Doesn't seem like Em5 replacement is quite there yet, but maybe it is. I will be trying very hard to resist getting an Em5 for now while I speculate about what new model might look like :)

12. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Hi
    It was very noticeable in the UK how e-M5s were suddenly being 'dumped' when the E-M1 was announced/released
    This has led to a glut of e-M5s available on Ebay UK with sellers inevitably competing with each other for quick sales and the prices have fallen dramatically as a result
    I had sold my previous silver E-M5 in anticipation of the GX7 but then had a change of heart as I am a left eye dominant user and I didnt want to pay top money for a camera that might not suit me in the long run and in any case I am giving up on chasing the latest 'thing'
    I recently bought a brand new unused black E-M5 with 12-50 for £600
    Used examples have fallen very dramatically and in stark contrast to the way that the E-M5 prices had previously held up unusually well compared to all other M4/3 bodies
    The E-M5 is now a superb bargain buy !
    Regards
    Rob