what's up with GH1/GH2 used prices?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by ntblowz, Apr 29, 2013.

1. ntblowz

ntblowz Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 13, 2011
    Auckland, New Zealand
    The GH1 have risen to over $400, while GH2 is around $600, I know GH2 rise in price because it is discontinued, though I think with the release of G6 it might fall, but the GH1 have risen from $200ish to $400ish on the last few auction I saw, which is totally out of blue to me
  2. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The prices for the GH1 seem awfully high online, yeah. I just scored a hackable GH1 in great shape off craigslist for $200.
  3. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    I've often wondered of some unsaid understanding amongst the organized onliners, trying to inflate prices. I believe it. Between them and ripoff PayPal, fugheeddabowdit.

I now do all my secondary shopping locally, Kijiji or Craigslist mostly.
  4. xxjorelxx

xxjorelxx Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 11, 2012
    MD, USA
    I noticed this as well. I saw used GH2's in the $400 range around the holidays. Coincidentally I havent seen the GH2's drop below $550 since the release of the GH3. My thinking is that more and more people learned about the GH3 and its capabilities but was just too expensive for some which made them want something similar and drove the demand for the older models up...:confused:
  5. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The GH1 and GH2 are definitely still in demand amongst video folks - the only reason why the guy sold his GH1 to me is because he just picked up a GH2, and I think he underestimated how much he could've got for his GH1. I haven't hacked it yet, but after about a week of playing with it, I am really impressed by the handling and the quality of the output (stills and video) and I wouldn't be surprised to see the older models not get much cheaper until the price of the GH3 drops quite a bit.
  6. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    The used GH2s dropped down to $400 because around the holidays because there was a short window where you could score a new one for $500 and the market got a little flooded with people trying to flip them for a profit. Instead of permanently pushing the price down, it looks like it bounced back up.
  7. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    This seems like a massive stretch to me, that someone could "organize" all (or even some) of the eBay merchants to fix prices without such a market-manipulation attempt being uncovered by someone.

But then I'm also the type of sucker who believes NASA actually did land on the moon and that the Twin Towers were actually toppled by the airliners that hit them and not through the use of explosives.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Prices go up because either there is little supply and some demand or because the sellers are not in any sort of a hurry. Mostly the latter, I expect - look at all the E-P1s selling for $300 on eBay almost 4 years on. (Almost) nobody buys them, but the listing was probably paid for long ago, so they may as well keep it up and hope some underuninformed person ends up clicking 'buy'.
  9. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Awesomeness, probably.
  10. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    GH2s have recently risen in price here in the UK too
    Mint / New Unused GH2s have been going for circa £600.00 where they had fallen to under £400.00 at one time !
    GH1s have also been realising better than normal prices
    I dont believe this to be any form of price fixing as has been suggested ?
  11. supermaxv

supermaxv Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 20, 2011
    I really don't think it's price fixing. There's still genuine demand. Out of all of my photographer and videographer friends that I know, the only micro four thirds cameras that they own and use or know anything substantial about are GH1s or GH2s.