what's this? Opteka 9mm f/8 at Amazon

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
Never seen or heard of this one. At f/8 it's a wonder it has a focus ring - much less one that says 'AF' on it (at the infinity point) :confused:. No contacts on the mount = all manual, and at infinity it focuses to about 2 feet right? Bizarre..

I'll still seek a 7.5mm, but at $99 this could be all a casual fisheye user would want to pay. :) Whether it beats the Oly lenscaps, who knows?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X844UUG?psc=1

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend
Never seen or heard of this one. At f/8 it's a wonder it has a focus ring - much less one that says 'AF' on it (at the infinity point) :confused:. No contacts on the mount = all manual, and at infinity it focuses to about 2 feet right? Bizarre..

I'll still seek a 7.5mm, but at $99 this could be all a casual fisheye user would want to pay. :) Whether it beats the Oly lenscaps, who knows?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X844UUG?psc=1

From the reviews, you're probably better off with the Olympus 9mm BCL or the Rok/Sam 7.5mm fisheye. I think either lens would be of better quality!

jimr.pdx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Jim R
I agree - not sure it has a reason to exist, given the Oly option - but I had not known of its existence until this morning! I'll seek the reviews, but the 7.5 is much more my type :)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Interesting. Looks like it has a normal focus ring so that is one thing it might has over the Oly Body Cap Lens fisheye with its little lever.

I wouldn't put much stock in the reviews on Amazon. First there are not enough of them to really make a good sampling (only 10 total). Of the negative reviews the two star rated ones both seem to be operator error and not being comfortable with manual focusing while the one star reviews neither can state what it is about the lens that didn't work or isn't as advertised. The other 6 of 10 would be on the positive side of the reviews.

Keep in mind that this lens was designed for APC sensors so the stated field of view will likely be a bit less when adapted to 4/3 sensors.

The Body Cap Lens has the same specs (9mm and fixed f/8) but is both very tiny and cheaper.

Real Name
Andrew L
I've heard bad things about this lens under a different name... but the motto I live by is, if you're stuck at f8, life sucks :p Not worth owning with the poor image quality and virtually unusable except in bright daylight - which is not the ideal time for making good photos.

Latest threads

Top Bottom