1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

What's These Markings/Widgets on These Lenses?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Wab, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    I've taken a closer look at my lenses and google has failed to provide the answers, so I'm wondering if you know? You probably do!

What's this on my Vivitar Series 1 300m f/5.6 (serial 37XXXXXX):
    The EE and M with the slidy button underneath?
    DSCF7660 by Tosh31, on Flickr

And this (the silver button depresses):

DSCF7661 by Tosh31, on Flickr

And can I ask why do they have a left and right aperture scale? It only appears to rotate in a manner that the green scale is used. And is there a relationship to these to the similarly coloured distance scale above them? Also what's the aperture scale for - the one above the aperture ring? And why are two of the markings in red (5.6 and between 16 and 22). Oh, and why are two f.5.6 (one in green and the other in orange)?

DSCF7663 by Tosh31, on Flickr

And my very last question (apologies), what's this red line for on my Vivitar Series 1, 70-210, f/3.5 (Ser 37XXXXX):

DSCF7664 by Tosh31, on Flickr

Thanks in advance!

2. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The EE/M is "electronic eye" or manual I believe, so automatic aperture as determined by the camera or manual.

Edit: The silver button is an unlock for the universal mount, press it in and rotate the collar to the O(pen) position rather than L(ocked).

The aperture scale is for depth of field, it shows how much will be in focus at those apertures (they line up with the ranges on the focusing ring).

The orange/red mark is for infrared, it focuses the longer wave length light to a closer point and you need to adjust focus if using IR film.

The red line is the depth of field as above however because it's a zoom the amount changes depending on the focal length, thus more of the line is exposed as you zoom out.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Your Vivitar has a Tamron Adaptall mount. This allowed them to make a single lens. Customers would
    buy the appropriate mount to match their SLR. I would not advise flipping the lever to the "O" (open)
    position, as the adapter will come off and you might not easily figure out how to re-attach it. I own a
    couple of these Adaptall mounts. They are pretty fiddly. I have a Minolta mount that likes to fall off.

Some cameras turned the aperture one way and others turned them the other way. So
    the lens was built so the aperture blades were fully open in the center position, and would
    close if you turned the ring either way. The Adaptall adapter will restrict the rotation only to
    one direction.

The red line is a DOF (depth of field) guideline.

4. dwig

dwig Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 26, 2010
    Key West FL

5. Wab

Wab Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2015
    Thanks all. Particularly enjoyed reading about the IR line. I just wondered if I was missing something helpful here.

Thanks again.

6. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    You're absolutely right. I'm probably mixing my T-4 lens with a TX mount (or vice versa), which is why it likes to come apart.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015