What's the story behind this T-mount telephoto lens?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by labcoatguy, Jan 23, 2011.

1. labcoatguy

labcoatguy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 23, 2011
    Cambridge, MA, US
    Hello all, recent lurker, even more recent poster. I have an E-P1 I got used and have been building up an unnecessarily large legacy lens collection; right now I have four 50mm lenses and three of them don't even have adapters yet, what with shipping from China taking a very long time. This situation wasn't helped when I found a case of old camera equipment at an antique store and managed to snag it for a song. In it were three lenses, a Kilfitt 40mm macro lens, an Accura 35mm wide-angle lens that is apparently a rebadged Sankor, and a Sunny 100m telephoto lens with a dented filter thread. Here's what it looks like (click for larger):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

My first impressions of this lens were pretty poor: the focus ring and both aperture rings were stiff, and the damn thing was heavier than my E-P1 body and almost as long as the body is wide. It is a T-mount lens, which I figured out the hard way by buying an M42 adapter after seeing that the mounting thread was 42mm, only to find out that it didn't fit. It came with a T-mount to Exakta mount adapter, and with an Exakta to m4/3 mount in place, it measures a full 12 cm long without caps. After a bit of working the rings, they loosened up, and so long as I made sure to brace the lens on something, handling wasn't much of a problem either. Although not very good wide open, once stopped down to f5.6 I managed to snap some pretty good shots like the following:

[​IMG]

So my question is, does anyone have any leads on what company made this lens? It looks like it might be, like the Accura, a rebadged import, but Googling "Sunset lens 100mm" turns up absolutely nothing. Whatever it is, and despite its limitations, it looks like I'll be using it for a while. Thanks in advance.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.