Whats the quietest autofocus lens I can get?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by edubz, Sep 10, 2015.

1. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015
    I dont have an auto focus lens.I want to get one but I dont know which one is the quietest one.

they never cover that on reviews really
  2. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    Most M43rds lenses are very quiet, especially ones made in the last few years. Some of the very early lenses like the 20/1.7 are louder. It would be helpful to know what sort of lens you're looking for, as I can't imagine a wideangle prime, even if technically "quietest" would be helpful if you're looking for a telephoto zoom.
  3. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My Oly 25mm is silent, and a terrific lens into the bargain.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Any of the newer Olympus primes.
  5. ahinesdesign

ahinesdesign Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2011
    NC, USA
    Any of the Olympus MSC lenses, Panasonic 14mm, 12-35mm, Sigma 30mm are all very, very quiet in my experience. The IBIS whirring in an EM5 is louder than the lenses focusing, shutter even more so. Panasonic 20mm as others have said can be louder when focusing, but when one says loud its audible to the photographer but likely no one else unless shooting in a space that's incredibly quiet... If you are trying to use on-camera mic for video, the mic may pick up even the "quiet" lenses focusing.
  6. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, I would suggest that you pick up a Tascam or Zoom audio recorder except that my reading of your multiple posts over the last few days is that you are trying to make your camera a camrecorder and not have the output look like a home video.
  7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Probably any lens at all except the Panasonic 20mm/1.7, and maybe the PanaLeica 25/1.4.

I haven't ever heard anyone mention noise for lenses except those two. Most M4/3 lenses focus very quickly and silently.

I guess my old 14-140mm version 1 makes a bit of noise, but that's probably not the kind of lens you're looking for anyway.
  8. edubz

edubz Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 9, 2015

I just bought a Voigtlander's Nokton 17.5 mm

I was looking to get another wide angle lens that would allow auto focus.

M.ZUIKO Digital 17mm f/1.8 Lens is the one I think im gonna get.v Its wide like the one I have now, plus I can use auto focus for running shots where I wouldnt be able to use the nokton

but I saw reports that they were loud when focusing.
  9. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
  10. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

15mm 1.7 is dead silent. Haven't tried 17mm.
    • Agree Agree x 1