1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

What's the one feature you miss in your current camera from the past

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AussiePhil, Apr 25, 2019.

1. AussiePhil

AussiePhil Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    This is sort of tied to the trip down memory lane thread but aimed to question if you used to have a feature or function on any previous camera you have used.

I'd forgotten this little gem but i do wish that any of my current cameras had this....
    Reading the advertising blurb for the Canon T70 (35mm film) i used to own it heralded what i'll term the idiot override function.
    Essentially if you set up a combination ISO/Aperture/Shutter in one of the Tv/Av modes that would have resulted in a massively over or under exposed image the camera would override the settings for a more correct exposure. you could still set up use full manual mode but i do remember it did save me a few times. hey film was expensive :) 
    Not something i'd actually missed till i thought about it and some of the dumb mistakes i've made like being in A mode with ISO set high in the midday sun and not noticing the shutter speed has exceeded max leading to a blown image, in this day and age you would think that if one of the parameters has gone out of range the camera could be configured to change something.

2. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2018
    I miss being able to set auto ISO to multiples of the 1/FL hand holding rule that I had on my Nikon. Setting the camera up to drag the shutter was a simple flip of the mode dial to a custom mode.

• Like Like x 1
  3. speedy

speedy Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Nov 27, 2015
    The tilty flippy EVF from my GX8. I still think that is the greatest EVF on a camera. Ever

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    Ummmm, with an EVF shouldn't you notice this? WYSIWYG?

5. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    My Ricoh GR actually has a "one-touch in M" feature that lets you hit a single button to instantly jump to a neutral exposure setting while still providing full manual control of everything. Your feature reminded me of that, it's quite a thoughtful touch while being a tad less overbearing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2018
    Many evfs show you the image that the meter is trying to achieve rather than the actual exposure. I believe the G9 is one of them fwiw, by default. You have to turn on specific view modes in order to see actual exposure.

7. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    To me that's defeating the purpose of an EVF. I don't remember my G9 being set like that from factory. I do go into the settings & set the zebra's to make life easier though.
    My GX8 had a faulty mechanical shutter from factory, it overexposed from around 1/1000 of a second & over, because it was the mechanical shutter you didn't see it in the EVF, it drove me completely nuts. I really have trouble seeing why you'd intentionally set up your camera like that

8. EM1-ii vs E-P5/VF-4:

Fixed position EVF is so massively inferior to a tiltable EVF of the VF-4. It makes using the camera less comfortable and removes a whole set of shooting positions, costing you shots.

Tilt screen that you can flip downwards in-line with the camera. Making the back screen flip out horizontally so that it's no longer in-plane with the lens and sensor is just stupid and means you now have an annoyingly larger camera that you have to mentally compensate for the display being off-centre from where it's pointed.

Power switch on the left hand side of the camera.Genuinely one of the most unbelievably stupid ideas I've ever seen on a consumer product, and I can't for a moment believe this was a decision made by anyone who has ever actually used a camera in any capacity at any point in their life.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  9. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    Simplicity and ease of use. My old fully manual Minolta film cameras were easy to use and I new what the results would be for most of the time,
    and the focus worked. I have to take so many extra shots now as I just cant reley on the focus being correct, weather it be me or the camera.

Edit;
    With my old film cameras could take one shot and if I did not botch the processing I could rely on it turning out, not so these days. But that's probably my fault not using the new gear correctly

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    Depth of Field scale on the lens, so that it is easy to plan the DoF of the image.
    This was easy to do on a push-pull zoom.
    On the current twist zooms, it has to be implemented in electronics, as Canon has on their 70-300 zoom.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Drdul

Drdul Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

May 16, 2015
    Vancouver, BC
    Richard
    Yeah, I miss having it on the right side, too. But I’ve learned that I can just turn the camera on and leave it on. I get over 2 hours of battery life and 800+ photos on my Pen-F before the battery runs out. A nice thing about the Pen-F power switch is that I can turn the camera on/off without looking at it, even if I have to use my other hand.

12. John M Flores

John M Flores Super Moderator

Jan 7, 2011
    NJ
    When my Ricoh GX100 was off, I could press and hold the play button to view photos without the lens extending.

13. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Another one the current GR still has. Hahah.

14. ac12

ac12 Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 24, 2018
    This :mad: 

Why Olympus wanted to go back to this poor design feature of the OM1 is beyond me. Crum with retro, it was and is a BAD un-egronomic design.
    Back in the film days, the simplest power switch was on the advance lever; push the lever in with your thumb = power off, pull it out with your thumb = power on.
    Today Canon and Nikon dSLR do almost similar, with the power switch around the shutter button. Again EASY to access, and fast to use.
    The Olympus design requires you to move one of your hand to the left deck to turn the switch on/off; neither easy nor fast. So I do what we did with similar poorly placed power switches in the film days, I turn it on and leave it ON, until I finish the shoot.

15. ooheadsoo

ooheadsoo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2018
    Iirc, if your shutter speed is bottomed out due to auto iso etc, and your iso cannot drop further, the g9 evf will not show you a dark picture by default.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  16. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Wow, this thread sort of took off....
    yep your absolutely right it does show it, i always have my evf's set to show actual exposure but you know it doesn't stop the first up out of the bag from last nights night photography oh crap why is my evf washed out, oh bugger it i'll just press the shutter anyway because it's focused foobar....... had it happen more than once, think i'd learn.
    I actually had my EM1mk1 set up so the mysets were 1:1 related to the A/S/M modes with some normal switch on defaults to stop this... the mk2 broke that idea somewhat.

17. Lawrence Beck

Lawrence Beck Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2018
    I miss the 28 megapixel sensor and the 4K 30p video capability of my Samsung NX1. I no longer have 44" printers, so the image quality of my Olypus sensor is fine for my current needs. I'm really stoked about the 5 axis IS on my EM5 Mk2 (the Samsung body had no IS), as well as the fact that I could find a workable underwater housing for it. I still have the NX1 and a Novoflex adapter for my long Leica APO glass but prefer the simplicity, weight and autofocus capabilities for birding and underwater photography of my Olympus. All in all I have no regrets.

18. speedy

Nov 27, 2015
    He he he. I'm hearing ya. I find that a bit of extreme physical exertion tends to cloud up your concentration a bit. Especially when I'm out mountain biking. I've got a few shots from separate occasions, shot in broad daylight, shot at ISO 800 or more, never noticed because I've normally got the e-shutter selected, & 1/32,000 gives you a fair old amount of leeway, even shooting fast primes at large apertures. Damned annoying when you load them up on the computer, & wonder where all the noise & lack of dynamic range came from :) 

19. AussiePhil

Jun 1, 2014
    Canberra, ACT, Aust
    Phil
    Canon T70 that i started this with had it's power switch on the left top, guess i got used to that location over the years and find it second nature to just flick the switch with the left hand as i'm starting to swing the left hand in place to provide support.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. snaimpally

snaimpally Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Dec 31, 2012
    Stupendously idiotic design putting the power switch on the left. Have you tried the Panasonic G9? Brilliant placement of the on/off switch around the shutter button. Of course, the G9 has a bit of a hair trigger shutter button, but that is a different complaint ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.