What's the most stupid thing you've done to get the shot?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by PeeBee, Oct 2, 2012.

1. PeeBee

PeeBee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 17, 2012
    Sorry if this has been done before, I had a quick search but couldn't find anything.

I went out Saturday night to grab some night shots. I revisited a bridge I shot a few weeks ago, hoping to get a better angle. The only place to get this angle was up a very steep unlit footpath. Since it was so dark (total darkness!), I set the camera up on the tripod under a streetlamp before heading up the path. Well, it had to happen. I tripped on the uneven path and landed on top the camera, which had the Panny 14mm attached that the wife recently bought for me. The lens is luckily unmarked whilst the body survived with just a small battle scar. This got me thinking though, people do some stupid things to get the right shot. Whats the most stupid thing you've done for your art?
  2. Brodie337

Brodie337 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 1, 2012
    Hung out of a car window (to my waist) at about 80kph on a gravel road... While driving.

For a shot that didn't work out :\
  3. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    It was the 1970's and I was about 18 years old. I was using a 100% manual Minolta SRT-200 with a Rokkor-X 50mm f/2.0 lens. I laid down on the actual race track at Lime Rock, Connecticut to get a cool, low-angle shot of a friend practice lapping in his Formula Ford racer. The problem was there were other cars practicing at the same time and no one expected me to be where I was. Still, I escaped being run over.

My friend broke his leg in a skiing accident early the next year. I took over driving responsibilities in that same car. I did fairly well for a few races... until a first-turn, chain-reaction accident caused me to flip the car twice. I walked away with bruises from the safety belts and a mild concussion that left me with a headache for a week. But there was no money to replace the totalled car so that ended my driving career.
  4. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    While ship was at cruise speed I hung over the rail with 5D and 17-40 at dusk to get a shot along the rail with foam and waves blurred to give the sense of speed. Friend hung on to my coat just in case. Turned out okay. Got a keeper.
  5. bbrovold

bbrovold Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 14, 2010
    In the 90's I learned to rappel down the side of a cliff to get shots of climbers. Eventually ditched the gear while climbing and joined in. It all culminated in a trip to the top of Devil's Tower in Wyoming. Although I packed a small camera, I had a ground crew documenting the trip from below.
    I was also known to stand in the center of traffic to get night shots but since those were the film days, I have lost track of the shots.